Test Drive Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Enthusiast
Default Test Drive Impressions

I'd like to hear from other people concerning their impression of the 2010 Insight after test driving it.

I had only three concerns today after my drive.

1. Pep
It didn't seem as peppy as my previous Civic Coup or my current C/RV. I had to remind myself that I wasn't purchasing one for drag racing. I may have been in ECO mode as well. Would that make a differance when I punch the accelerator?

2. Vision.
The back window seemed a little strange in the rear view mirror. I'm sure it's something one has to get accustomed to.

3. Low ground clearance
It appears to be less than a foot off the ground. We get a lot of snow where I live so getting in and out could be a problem during the winter. Sounds like a good excuse to stay home!

Other than that, it seems like a nice car I can live with. The test drive was actually fun since it took me along some hilly winding roads. The car handled well.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Test Drive Impressions

Don't expect pep with the Insight. In my view, its lack of power presents safety issues. Plus we want to have a little fun while saving the planet.

I was seriously considering the Insight. I found it a bit too small for my needs (I have two school age kids) and the lack of power was a problem. But I took it for a test drive and liked it. However, the dealer had all Insights at $3k over sticker. Keep in mind I have bought or leased 4 Hondas from this dealer in the last 9 years. And I have referred many friends. They did say they would consider less.

I had already made a deposit on at Ford Fusion Hybrid when I made the test drive of the Insight. I had a purchasing plan through my employer (big So Cal employer) that got me invoice for the FFH (they are going for at least MSRP around here). The local Honda dealer would not honor the plan for the Insight.

I am happy with the decision to get the FFH. It fits my needs better, has a more dynamic power train, bigger interior, and great tech package. I will give up some MPG, but all in all, I feel good about the decision.

Delivery in 3-4 weeks per my salesperson.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Just got back ftom my Honda dealer, I took my 2007 Civic in for service...while there, I took a look at the Insight, wow, it is cute BUT, not for me. It is much smaller inside, the Civic feels like an Accord compared to the Insight, I am 6'3" to its credit, I did not bang any body parts against the car (a-la shifter in the Prius) but even with the seat all the way back & the steering wheel all the way forward, it was tight.
It drove well, I got about 45 mpg on a fairly short drive (yes some was a little agressive).
The salesman was supprized I d kept the spedo green for most of the trip & lit up all but 1/2 of the very last leaf.
I don't feel like the displays are as informative as the Civic, at least I felt I had to really look for information flipping through window after window.
It has that Prius bar accross the back, don't like it but it somhow did not seem as bad.
The salesman was really misinformed, saying things like, it is the same engine as my civic (oops, you mean is is a 2 stage valve system with less power) a more powerful battery (maybe per cc) it has a more powerful electric motor (Insight 13, Civic 20hp) that is was a more sophiscitated car than the Civic (because it has the econ mode, I will give you that) anyway, his misinformation was kind of distracting from the test drive. Overall, if someone is looking for a cheaper hybrid or one with a fold down seat, this should fill the bill...
I was also reading a car mag (car and driver maybe) while waitng, they compared the new Prius & Insight (of course did not really care for either) but they even made the mistake of saying the Insight looks so much like the Prius they are supprised Toyota has not gone after Honda for copyringt infringement...oops, wrong answer .

Old 04-20-2009, 12:41 PM

I went on Saturday and forced my Dad to drive first as he often will get impressions from being a passenger without even driving the car yet! We both had issues with the lack of pep - it seemed so anemic with accelleration even when you were going, and will take some getting used to at the lights and stop signs. (We tried the Econo Mode part of the way, and took it off the rest of the way and honestly didn't notice much of a difference. The view was very annoying at first but I think anyone can get used to it - You find yourself (at least I found myself) thinking which view should I be focusing on? The window on the top or the bottom? I didn't have an issue with blindspots surprisingly, and since I currently drive a 2006 Civic, the height wasn't an issue. The controls aren't too complicated which was a nice feature. The Prius can be overwhelming at first because the controls are not like any non-hybrid car I can think of. Surprisingly, the ride wasn't too bad although I could see those not used to firm rides having issues. I was impressed overall - and the only thing that did not impress me was the crazy blue exterior color!

Old 04-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I am concerned that "lack of pep" is your first observation, I have driven the car, it did quite nicely HOWEVER I am used to a hybrid (2007 Civic) and while it can accelerate well enough (it won't glue you to your seatback), that is not or should not be your goal, smooth, acceleration should be your goal keeping the rpm between 1800 & 2100 rpm, brisk acceleration burns excess gas...
So, here is my concern, you buy the hybrid, push it hard because you want a peppy ride then come back here and complain you get 35 mpg...Please drive the car again, pay attention to the rpms when you accelerate, can you live with that acceleration? turn on the air, use econ that is going to be your worst driving conditions, can you live with them?
If you are always pushing it cause it's not peppy, your gas mileage, battery and patience will all suffer.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bobs Metallic Pearl
I am concerned that "lack of pep" is your first observation, I have driven the car, it did quite nicely HOWEVER I am used to a hybrid (2007 Civic) and while it can accelerate well enough (it won't glue you to your seatback), that is not or should not be your goal, smooth, acceleration should be your goal keeping the rpm between 1800 & 2100 rpm, brisk acceleration burns excess gas...
So, here is my concern, you buy the hybrid, push it hard because you want a peppy ride then come back here and complain you get 35 mpg...Please drive the car again, pay attention to the rpms when you accelerate, can you live with that acceleration? turn on the air, use econ that is going to be your worst driving conditions, can you live with them?
If you are always pushing it cause it's not peppy, your gas mileage, battery and patience will all suffer.
That wasn't my version of peppy - it was more like you are making a right turn and you have limited space to pull out in front of someone - it is enough, but given that the acceleration is so choppy, you could end up cutting someone off which would not be the goal, especially in some parts of the country. It didn't seem to respond well to hills, but otherwise drove very well. I think that given that complaint, the driving indicator system (indigo/green) is helpful at teaching those of us who are greenhorns with hybrids how to better maximize fuel economy. Plus, I hear that you get a trophy on the display once you are a champion at efficiently driving (not sure if it was a rumor).

I think that in my case, I am a very efficient driver but need pep at certain points (to deal with crazy drivers) and that was a bit concerning. As is, I get 36-38 MPG with my 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan so I don't think I live up to being named after the Ford Mustang Shelby Cobra 500 KR. Or...being incredibly loyal to Ford. My Dad was trying to convince me into getting the Ford Fusion Hybrid just a few hours ago. But that is another story...

Old 04-21-2009, 07:21 AM
Enthusiast

The Insight and the Civic Coupe weigh almost exactly the same, however the Civic has 42 more hp. The Insight on the other hand develops more torque at the low end 123@1500 versus 128@4800 for the Civic. I really notice the difference in going from 30 to 55. I do find the acceleration in the Insight to be fine for my everyday trips, but I'm not sure I would care to drive it on a LA freeway.

As far as ground clearance I believe the Civic and Insight are about the same, I know the Civic is 6.2 inches.

In my 2006 Civic Coupe I averaged 33 mpg, in my 2010 Insight I get 45 without any major changes to my driving habits.

Last edited by ScorpD; 04-21-2009 at 07:32 AM.