Minor "parking lot" dent

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Contributor ($)

Well, my neighbor acciudently backed into my Insight the other day. While it was parked in my driveway. Not good.
I'll see if I can get a picture or two to post. It's not anything major, but the whole panel will need to be repainted.

The panel just behind the door on the passengers side has a crease in it. Also slightly nicked the lower panel behind the door.

I got the estimate from the body shop...
$193.91 for paint and parts.
$805.18 for labor
$999.09 Total.

Wow.

Amazing what how much a minor parking lot dent costs these days.

Oh, and by the way... I'm still waiting for the glass guys to get my windshield in from their suppliers.

Old 08-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Ericbecky:

___I am sorry to hear about your little beauty … At least it sounds like a small fender bender and not something a bit more serious. She will be as good as new very soon I am sure …

___On a similar note, I still have that crack in my windscreen I need to take care of eventually as well. What kind of quote did you receive on the entire glass including install and by whom? Be sure to follow up with Rick Reese’s replacement over at Insightcentral.net. He was not too happy with the outcome given the installers failed to install some type of clips IIRC.

PS: Congrats on your last tank by the way. I know you are still getting the feel for her and that elusive 80 mpg tank is just a few miles in front of you. What is your goal by the way? With the increased Fall winds fast approaching, I know you are going to hit a 100 + miler here any day now so keep that camera ready My own current is going down the tubes with (2) 53 degree F morning commutes, (2) 15 + mph headwind commutes, (2 ) with rain the whole way, and a 12 mile long stop and go on my drive home yesterday evening … I was hoping for a bit more with the Vapor recovery HW fill up but “thems the breaks” I guess

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 08-12-2004, 09:45 AM
CLA
Enthusiast

Sounds very familiar. I mentioned in my first post, that a lady backed into me, into the right front bumper. It cost over $600 to repair.
Considering the many times that I avoided someone who was backing up and not seeing me, I guess we are lucky more times than not. Defensive driving is required.
Insights are no lower to the ground than sports cars.

This is not related, but comes also under the topic of Insight repairs. I learned not to plow into standing rainwater. The underside of the Insight is covered by a thin sheet of plastic. The rainwater ripped it half free of its bolts. Plastic on road surface is noisy.

Old 08-16-2004, 09:04 AM
Contributor ($)

I got my car back on Friday, to the tune of about $1200.
I ended up switching repair shops due to logistics of getting a rental car.

Somehow in the process, the repair show tripped, but did not reset, the SRS (Safty Restraint System) light. Now I have to shcedule a seperate vist to the dealer to get them to rest it. The body shop will pay for it (~$70) but it's still a hassle to get it done.

The paint job looks good and is warranted for as long as I own the car. For next 90 days I am not supposed to wax that panel although washing it it fine. I'll be keeping a close eye on it to be sure wverything "holds up".