Insight Battery is Gone!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 11:21 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Insight Battery is Gone!

Yes , it may take another recal to get the meter reading correctly. Tires and their pressure are really important. I run my at the hi limit - 44psi. I did once try another type of tire that was not LRR, wow I took them back after 10 miles, Could not get the recharge to get back to full, the drag was so hi. Stay with the RE 92 Potenza's that came with the car and watch the pressure monthly and if it ever goes in for service tell them to leave the tires alone. I found when my orig batter was at the end of life it could not assist in hill climbing without throwing codes. I learned to shift down regularly every time i saw the electronics asking for assist. To my surprise my gas mileage went up ! But it all makes sense, with a mild hybrid like the Insight the engine does the real work the elec is like a turbo. These are great underappreciated cars that have been the best fuel economy car for the last 7 years and I see nothing better for another few years , if ever. They are fun to drive, reliable , economical, and Honda has been standing behind them at least that is how it has been for me these last 6 years. Good luck. Ted

Old 10-25-2006, 08:00 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Tracy, sometimes I have to admit that I feel just plain jealous of folks who drive Insights. I am sure that your vehicle represents the most mature and stable version of the Insight. I am just as sure that it will server you well for may years.

Now, if I may add something concerning you remarks about the full charge issue:

Honda has learnt alot since they released the Insight in 1999 - particularly in the area of the NiMH battery management. That is nowehere more evident than in the new version of the Civic Hybrid. Most of us have never seen a full charge in our cars and very few have ever seen a completed depleted battery pack - under normal operating conditions.

As many have stated, Honda has defined some very good battery management profiles and your vehicle may just be operating with the most up to date version. I would not be surprised if you'll never see a full charge again either. It is perfectly normal and by now a very well known industry fact.

In summary, full charge and discharge cycles are very bad for the life expectancy of a NiMH battery pack. And I were in your situation, I would feel alot better if I saw smaller oscillations of charge that range from 2/8 to 7/8's.

You've got a great car.

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 10-25-2006 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Enthusiast

thanks, all for all the information you've provided. i guess, all my battery charge issues can be chalked up to simply a low tire. since the service and tire fix, i've gotten *better* mileage than before (over 68 average, instead of 66). so...let that be a lesson. tire pressure really does matter.

as for people's comments about the quality of the insight, i couldn't agree more with all the positive things people have said about them. this is a *great* car. i am ridiculously happy with it. i feel though, like an over protective mommy...i just want the car to be healthy and fit, and i worried a bit when something went wrong. it's all a learning process. next time i'll know.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Can it be modified to ICE only?

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Boy-$5000 at 100K-not what Toyota and Honda have been implying with their 150-200K life.
Can the Insight be modified to run on just the gasoline motor.It should get excellent mpg-40+) with the tiny motor and under 2000 lb wt-low drag also.This woulkd certainly be the most cost effective solution.Forget about that $5000 battery(unless Honda discounts it heavily,or just gives it to you).Luck,Charlie
I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this question as well. Could the IMA simply be disabled? Removing the battery would make the vehicle even lighter. I am rather attached to my Insight and would not want to junk it because the battery replacement cost is too high. Running as a three cylinder ICE would be fine for bopping around town, I suppose. Does any one if this has been done successfully?

Old 12-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Banned

After nearly 94,000 miles my battery pack went out. As I drove 25 miles to the dealer, I was still getting 80mpg - only differece was a lack of acceleration. Honda made a "good will" deal and had me to pay for the first $450 and they paid the rest - total of $6,500 for the battery pack, BCM unit, MCM unit. Got a lower rate on the nine days I needed a rental.

While they told me not to drive the car with the IMA out, I suspect it really could (they were in the legal cover your backside mode...)

When your Insight does a recal, the degraded accereration is what it will be like if the IMA fails.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdbrooks
Well I just received word yesterday from the dealer that my Insight battery is gone. I have 104K on the car so its way out of the warranty. My 2000 Insight has been a wonderful car. The service manager told me yesterday that I could expect to pay upwards of 5K to replace. This is not good news. The dealer is currently contacting Honda to get a firm price for the replacement and they will let me know on Monday. The dealer here in Austin, Texas stated that this would be the second replacment they have done this past month on an Insight. Does anyone know how much this might be exactly? I am really shocked I am at this point already. I was expecting this not to happen for at least a couple of more years or ever at all. Is this a common problem? I owe 5K on my Insight so if I am going to have to invest an additional 5K just to keep it going in normal operation they can forget it. At this point I would consider my car totaled. All of that gas money I have saved over the past couple of years just came due in one large payment. Hopefully HOnda will come through and offer me something a little more reasonable.
My 2001 Insight battery went bad at 82,440 miles and Honda is refusing to warranty it because the previous owner had installed additional wiring on the battery to monitor performance. I bought the car at 10,000 miles and the Honda Service Manager opined that he did not think the wiring caused the failure, and that 82,000 miles is where they are seeing a lot of failures. This is in San Diego.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:34 PM
65.5 MPG Lifetime

Originally Posted by jdbrooks
Well I just received word yesterday from the dealer that my Insight battery is gone. I have 104K on the car so its way out of the warranty.
Mine died in the 80,000 mile range. It was replaced free. My dealer (in Columbus, Ohio) said the warranty had been extended to 150,000 miles. That was a pleasant surprise. I knew the warranty had been extended in warmer areas.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Yes, the warranty for the older ones at least, 2000-2004 was extended to 150,000 miles. Then, someone pointed out the odometers read higher than actual by about 2% and threatend to sue.

So rather than fight it, Honda extended the warranty another 5%.
The mileage covers 157,500 miles now.
EDIT: 157,500 applies to 2002-2004's only. 150,000 applies to 2000-2001's.

The newer 2005-2006's had "better batteries" and do not get the longer warranty.

Last edited by gpsman1; 05-30-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Yes, the warranty for the older ones at least, 2000-2004 was extended to 150,000 miles.
Just out of interest, where would one find proof of this?
My 2001 Insight is going strong at 109,000. I've had the battery replaced once already under warranty and thought that i was now out of warranty range. Nice to know that I am not.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:14 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Dealers should be upfront with you.

I found the info here:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...en-discussion/

Quick Reply: Insight Battery is Gone!

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands