Buy new or Used Insight

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Banned
Default Re: It Looked Like it was Ready to Recal (Recharge) - DON'T WORRY

Originally Posted by sailing217
What do you think a guesstimate of OEM Tires inflated properly (40+) is good for MPG wise?

The used car in question was also an Auto getting 55mpg. But my driving habits of 60-65 with alot of truck drafting was getting 70+ mpg on a brand new Auto Insight.
40psi is a good pressure for the tires.

55 lifetime mpg is good for a CVT Insight, but I'd find a 5-speed if possible so you could get 65-70mpg in the conditions you describe. Besides, the 5-speed is the only thing with better FE than a 2006 Civic or Prius right now.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:02 PM
now Insight, had an HCH
Default Re: Buy new or Used Insight

MY Recals almost always happen once I hit full then it goes into regen mode. Pretty much sounds like the battery will bite the dust soon some time, Honestly, I would not let that scare you though.

I personally run my RE92's (OEM) at a bone jarring 51psi. It doesn't bother me since I have always driven Corvettes or other cars/trucks with modified suspensions. When I got my '00 Insight a year ago it had cheapo no-name tires and a LTMPG of 47mpg. For the first few miles I drove on those tires and got around 58 MPG consistantly. When I swapped out to the RE92's I reset the LTMPG and now 16,000 miles later it shows 64.6 MPG.

I'm surprised you got a recal on a CVT, that's not too normal. 70 mpg with an auto is excellent, I'd try to see if you could reproduce those #'s. The used Insight should in reality get better mileage since it's "broken in". IMO, the used Insight is the better deal - but I'm CHEAP!

Old 05-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Buy new or Used Insight

In 08/2005, I purchased a used 2002 CVT with 39k miles, the weekend that Katrina hit and days before the gas prices jumped. Since then, it's gained an additional 13k miles and proven itself as a wonderful, wonderful car. I purchased it fo $11,000, half the price of a new one, without sales tax. As to warranty, It had more than half the warrantied miles left on the battery pack. Would I do it again? Yes, and faster than a New York Jewish Minute (at warp speed, to those who don't understand that reference). That's my story, and yours may differ...or not.

Best,
Ricco