Anyone do Sirius or XM in their Insight?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 08:25 PM
now Insight, had an HCH
Default Anyone do Sirius or XM in their Insight?

Just curious as I installed it in my Insight today but put the antenna on the dash since it's magnetic. I integrated it with my CD player.

What I got:

JVC KD-LH810 so I just added a JVC adaptor so I don't have MORE bulky stuff in the interior.

I think I'll be ready for "Geek My Ride" soon! Just a few more add-ons.

Old 11-14-2005, 01:04 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone do Sirius or XM in their Insight?

sounds interesting, got pics?

Old 11-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yup.. I used to do Sirius with a Brix Streamer.

But since they recently dumped 3 of my favorite channels & the repetition got terrible.

So I just picked up an XM RoadyXT yesterday. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to mount it in the Insight though. The Streamer had a nice suction cup attachment for the windshield. However, the vent clip for the Roady doesn't fit in our cars. So I'm going to have to figure out a surface to mount it to.

Old 11-14-2005, 04:28 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Here is a HORRIBLE picture. You can customize the reciever to have whatever pictures, colors, movies, you want. Anyway, the antenna is in the right front corner of the dash. Reception is fine and it's the only visible indication I have any sort of satillite radio, I look forward to seeing how it does on a trip.

Main reason for getting it is I am about to increase my commute time from 15-20 minutes to 45-60 minutes one way. Before I used to carry about my entire collection of CD's, crazy heavy even out of the jewel cases. My local stations leave a bit to be desired and the wife and I can never agree on a station around here. With the satillite we agree a bit more.

I still would of loved to get the 3 1/2 inch display that plays DVD's. But it's $$$

Old 11-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

looks nice, very clean!

Old 11-26-2005, 08:31 PM
Enthusiast

Good to hear your XM is working ok for you. I too have a 60-75 min commute and with 25 miles of the drive in windy, mountainy roads the radio reception is mostly garbage, I look forward to more clear stations. I will probably get a portable radio version but was wondering where to put the antennae as I'd prefer not to mount it outside behind the regular antennae. I'll then get a 2nd antennae off eBay for my husband's SUV (which we rarely ever drive since we got the Insight).

Deb

Old 11-26-2005, 08:40 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Actually I got Sirius. Still, the wife and I are Ying and Yang when it comes to radio. I like NPR Talk while she likes 70's music (that I enjoy too).

I do wonder if the reception can get any clearer if I were to mount the antenna outside. It's pretty good right now. If trees go over the road or I go under a bridge I lose the signal for a moment.

Old 11-27-2005, 04:38 AM
Enthusiast

I have both XM and Sirius in the Insight. Antennas are on the roof. I used the Sony XM-XT1 receiver for XM as it is integrated into the head unit and the Starbase Commander model for Sirius which is mounted in the 3 blank tabs left of the driver. I prefer XM for the music and variety but need the Sirius for the NFL. Have fun, RIck

Old 12-03-2005, 04:06 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Anyone do Sirius or XM in their Insight?

I installed a Delphi Roady2 n my 2003 insight, on the right side of the steering wheel in the A/C vent grill. Tied the wires up neatly (I had to use the tape player kit, the FM modulator was not near as good) and put the antenna right in the middle of the dash next to the glass. The reception here in the DFW area is great. When I first read the stuff, it said it had to be mounted on the roof with the magnet, HA!! It really works great on the dash. My dash lights are green and orange, On the Roady2 you can select from about 10 light colors and the green and orange both seem to match the dash lights perfect.
I use the green but sometimes switch to the sky blue for a change of contrast.

Steve Harper

Old 12-26-2005, 01:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've used Sirus for about a year now and the only complaint I have is that the antenna is magnetic and not stick on. The service is great and they might tell you to go look for the product call Mylar ( good luck finding it ). I went down to my local Lowes and they sell a product which has a magnetic on one side and an adhesive on the other side. It won't not damage the paint and works great. The antenna hasn't come off yet.