XM Radio Scam by Dealers???

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 07:12 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: XM Radio Scam by Dealers???

I agree, it's not all bad news and probably a symptom of a fledgling industry in general. I wanted to get this article out their to generate some thoughts, so thanks for chiming in.

Thanks to DarkHorse2160, I've been put on to a independent shop that will do the install for about $200 and I've found the genuine Honda kit for $361, so I'm probably going to go that route.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast

Greyghost: I would make a big deal about making sure there hands are clean and laying out the dash, etc. on a soft blanket. If you get a slob to do the install they could really mess up your car. Not to scare you but....

Old 05-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Enthusiast

I'm with ya, but I'm going off of the glowing recommendation from DarkHorse2160....they did his and he's impressed with the work. Plus, the local Honda and Acura dealers farm out the work to this shop.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My XM install cost me one piece of scrap aluminum, two screws & nuts and a piece of double-sided tape... in other words, pennies. This assumes, of course, that you already have a Roadie you're transferring from your old car (but a new Roadie can be had for under $40). See my install photos in the thread marked "XM". I posted them last night.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs down Re: XM Radio Scam by Dealers???

Originally Posted by HyMinded
I wrote a letter today. If anything comes of it, I'll let you all know. (Not optimistic, but hey, I'm always ready for a good surprise.)
I wrote to Honda, they had a rep call me back, and he promised to contact the dealer. I knew by then that my chances of an acceptable resolution were reduced drastically, plus I did purchase the car back in late-January and didn't transmit my concerns until two months later (major life stuff was going on). After weeks of playing phone tag with their customer service rep, who was polite enough, and she regretfully noted that she wouldn't be able to have XM added. If I had to do it over again, I would've complained right away. I still love the car, but am I unhappy about the misrepresentation: yeah. I was accompanied by my girlfriend, who is always ready to point out my flubs (bless her heart), but she heard the same spiel about, "All you have to do is log-in to the Nav screen to get XM" that I did.

Last edited by HyMinded; 07-11-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Enthusiast

I ended up putting in a Skifi2 radio. It took me all of a 1/2 hour. The AUX plug is a nice feature. Kudos for Honda on adding that. On my Volvo I had to pull the radio and install an adapter and power it too. I just can't see giving the dealer 900.00 for an XM tuner. I would rather put that money towards an extended warranty.

Old 09-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

The XM radio fiasco is really unacceptable. I would love to have XM radio but im not going to reward Honda's incompetence here.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for taking the Time to write about this DarkHorse!

I will give us the HeadsUp and something to WatchOut for, when it comes time to purchase XM for our vehicles!

Thanks Again!

PPd

Old 10-27-2006, 01:51 AM
Enthusiast

I am not as upset that the XM radio cost so much to install or the fact that we were mislead as I am with the fact that they don't offer SIRIUS. We all have Hybrids and obviously don’t mind paying premium prices for products that are worth it. Hopefully this will give you a chance to try out SIRIUS and forget all about XM an it’s growing shortcomings.