Wow, -14 degrees this morning!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 06:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Wow, -14 degrees this morning!

It was cold!

The bad: My engine, and therefore my cabin, never warmed up on my 20 minute commute. I usually wait for 4 bars on the temp gauge to crank up the heat. This did happen about 2/3 into my commute, but then it went back down! By the time I parked, my temp gauge was at two bars! Poor little engine! I may have to put some pipe insulatiuon in the grill.

Also, the radio reported -14 degrees. My car said -1. The HCH's gauge is always conservative compared to other temp sources -- radio, friends cars, etc.

The good: The doors and trunk opened, the car started right up, I safely commuted to work. All the important stuff.

I was so focused on the engine temp gauge and thermometer, I never checked my FE. I'll have to look tonight on my way home. It's prob 19mpg.

Cheers, nf

Old 01-24-2008, 07:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Wow, -14 degrees this morning!

Cold weather stinks doesn't it!! I live in the west suburbs of Chicago where it's extremely cold today (guessing you live somewhere in the midwest as well)....anyway, I'm seriously considering having the dealer install a block heater but have no idea if it's a good idea but I've read it's a $150 install +/- so it may be worth it especially since it's no fun waiting 20 mins to get hot air coming through the vents or having to deal with low mpg's because of it. Consequently after three tanks now I'm averaging almost 47 mpg (as calculated by hand-computer is nearly 3mpg's less) and thrilled with this car!!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:12 AM

Get the grill blocks in noflash. You will find a big differance. I put mine in when the temps hit 60. It only takes a few min. to install or remove them if you have large temp swings. H

Old 01-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by noflash
...Poor little engine! I may have to put some pipe insulatiuon in the grill....

Right on.

As Harold said, that mod will make a significant difference for you. Do you have a chance of plugging it in as well?

Yes, low temps bite in my area as well... its been kind of low too (-22F to -40F). Oh, well. What's life without a little challenge now and then, heh?

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 01-24-2008, 10:06 AM

Pipe insulation will go in tonight. I will wait on the plug for now.

...and yes, the challenge does make life interesting!

Old 01-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Honda should really think about a retrofit electric heater element. (Just like the A/C unit)

Old 01-24-2008, 11:31 AM

Yeah, I'm suffering too (although it was a balmy 14 positive here).

I've noticed something interesting in the cold though. The first part of my commute is mosty up-hill and the car is warm enough to auto stop at the highest point. From there, I glide down a 2-3 mile hill to my office. By the time I get to the bottom of the hill, the car is so cold it won't even regen, let alone auto stop! It does make for easier gliding on the last mile to the office but it's a little annoying...

I can't wait for Linear Logic to develop the Scan Gauge X-gauges for the HCH. I really want to understand what variables make the car behave weird in winter. In the meantime, i guess I need some pipe insulation and an engine block heater!

Old 01-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by kristian

I can't wait for Linear Logic to develop the Scan Gauge X-gauges for the HCH. I really want to understand what variables make the car behave weird in winter. In the meantime, i guess I need some pipe insulation and an engine block heater!
Kristian:

For now, the most relevant determinants of the car's optimal operating range in low temperatures are already available as readouts in SG-II in the form of Intake temperature and Coolant temperature.

The only thing we may have to wait for, is the hybrid specific support from LinearLogic for the HCH-II - and that among many other things, may include the battery temp and CVT temps.

Yes, you definitely need a block heater and Grille blocking too.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 01-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Grill blocking works wonders...My wife and I are still able to get in the mid to high 50mpg's versus last year without the block which were around the high 40mpg's.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SilverStar
Cold weather stinks doesn't it!! I live in the west suburbs of Chicago where it's extremely cold today (guessing you live somewhere in the midwest as well)....anyway, I'm seriously considering having the dealer install a block heater but have no idea if it's a good idea but I've read it's a $150 install +/- so it may be worth it especially since it's no fun waiting 20 mins to get hot air coming through the vents or having to deal with low mpg's because of it. Consequently after three tanks now I'm averaging almost 47 mpg (as calculated by hand-computer is nearly 3mpg's less) and thrilled with this car!!
I live up in lake County near Barrington, and my temp gauge didn't go over 3-4 bars the entire trip home at 30-40 mph. I installed pipe insulation in the upper and lower grill which usually helps. My block heater arrived today, so I guess I have my weekend project.

Quick Reply: Wow, -14 degrees this morning!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands