Wiring a phone kit to the ignition, any electrical wizards?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Enthusiast
Default Wiring a phone kit to the ignition, any electrical wizards?

I removed my phone kit from my truck today, a professionally installed Nokia kit: It charges the phone when it's plugged in, and provides hands-free use via a "brain" that runs a speaker, microphone and the line to the phone itself.

The only wire that needs to be connected for the kit is the power wire. I removed the plastic plate under the drivers side, and looked up under it. I used a tester and found a white wire that provides full power when the key is on, and zero when the key is off. I clipped the phone kit power wire to it, and proceeded to install everything else (speaker, microphone etc.).

But now I'm worried... Can having this kit wired like this somehow damage the car? I've no idea what the wire I'm getting power from is for, all I know is it's 12 volts when the car is running, and zero when the key is turned off.

The kit can't be pulling much juice, other than the amount needed to charge the phone I guess. And it's on it's own 2 amp fuse, so I'm not worried about damaging the kit itself.

I drove the car around for a while tonight doing errands and everything seems to be fine, but the worry-wart in me can't let it go. If I'd been able to power the kit from the stero leads like normal, I wouldn't worry since those are obviously for accessories anyways, but I'm sure the line I'm getting power from is one of the main ignition wires or something like that.

Anyways, if you're a wiring guru, your input is certainly appreciated!

Old 04-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Default Re: Wiring a phone kit to the ignition, any electrical wizards?

What you should do is look at the cigarette lighter wire. Maybe hook it into that one.

Old 04-10-2006, 05:37 AM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: Wiring a phone kit to the ignition, any electrical wizards?

I would go to the fuse box under the dash, and with a voltmeter, find a terminal that is live (12v) all the time. Then using a small push-on terminal lug, connect the phone power to that terminal. That way your phone is always powered up even with the ignition off. If you don't want to leave the phone powered all the time, just look for a terminal that is live only when the ignition is on and when the key is on acc.

Sounds like you already found a good power wire but the best installation would be to wire it directly to the fuse box.

Hope this helps....