Who has the highest mileage on their HCH?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 08:09 PM
jmg14213
Default Re: 42,000 and counting

Originally Posted by cbxtc6
No problems yet. It isn't yet a year old though, and the warranty's expired.
You've got me beat! I took delivery 03-22-04 and it had 35600 today when I did the oil change again. But I didn't drive much in February or March, thanks to hernia surgery. Couldn't work, so didn't need to drive every day.

I have noticed that the trans seems to "hunt" a little since I had the dealer change the CVT fluid at 26000 miles.

I don't know why they don't pull them apart, as the service manual goes into great detail about how it works and how to dismantle and repair it. Maybe Honda is doing policy adjustments on them to inspect themselves for cause of failure. Sort of like, these should never fail so we want to know exactly how and why the ones that do did?

Old 05-16-2005, 06:31 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Who has the highest mileage on their HCH?

I had reported my mileage along with the CVT replacement I needed at about 57,000 miles.

Well, here I am today at 60,000 miles... and the CVT is acting up again! It's at the dealer right now. It's been starting to jerk, hunt, and shudder and is most noticeable when accelerating from a stop or slow speed and, at times, when slowing down. Just not good. At least the replacement they put in should be under warranty, as well.

I really hope this is not a trend with the CVTs.

I'll report more back later when I hear back from the dealer...

Last edited by zhybrid; 05-16-2005 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

yikes, hope that cvt doesn't act up again
do you reboot your car or downshift often? i know that might cause transmission problems, but if you don't do either it has got to be something to do with dealer installation and/or manufacturing

Old 05-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Enthusiast

Nope, never downshift or reboot - go figure!

Well, the story today is that the dealership could not replicate the problem at all in the shop. I have the car back now and I'll wait to see what happens. The last time, it started gradually until it was so frequent and annoying that you couldn't miss it. Hope I don't have to wait for it to get that bad this time.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zhybrid
I had reported my mileage along with the CVT replacement I needed at about 57,000 miles.

Well, here I am today at 60,000 miles... and the CVT is acting up again! It's at the dealer right now. It's been starting to jerk, hunt, and shudder and is most noticeable when accelerating from a stop or slow speed and, at times, when slowing down. Just not good. At least the replacement they put in should be under warranty, as well.

I really hope this is not a trend with the CVTs.

I'll report more back later when I hear back from the dealer...

My service advisor told me to NOT get a CVT, they were always seeing them in there for replacement! If I had one, and could still buy an extended warranty, I would think it would be cheap insurance!

Old 01-10-2006, 12:45 PM

I haven't had a problem with mine yet at about 40k. Maybe the older versions were more reliable.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:28 PM
jmg14213

Well, it has been 8 months since my last post in this thread. I now have 57300 miles on the '04 CVT. I was getting a little grunt and growl at around 51K, but I did the second fluid change, used the new CVT fluid instead of the ATF-Z1, and the growl has gone away.

If there has been a problem, perhaps the new fluid was the correction, as there hasn't been a lot of traffic on this thread in the last year. Given the number of us here that ARE driving high mileage and beating them hard, I would expect the people here would be all over this if it was a real problem.

Old 01-11-2006, 05:26 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I have 50k on my 2004 HCH, which I purchased in May 2004.
I just performed a bunch of service on the car this past weekend:
  • New tires (replaced the Bridgestones with new Bridgestones)
  • Oil/Filter
  • Air Filter
  • Cabin Filter
I was going to put a block heater into the car and change the A/F, however I couldn't find the block drain plug. It wasn't where the diagram said it would be.

Oh, well. That will get changed at 60k.

BTW, I am MT, so no CVT fluid to change, TG.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Enthusiast

74,000 miles on a 2003 5-speed. Great car, getting 47 mpg. Original tires. Rough brakes at 50k the only problem - turned the rotors and drums. Too bad they've discontinued the 5-speed.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just turned 75,000 on my '04 HCH MT. Just replaced tires, there was some tread left, but not much on the original Bridgestones. Lifetime MPG is at 48.8. Brakes have plenty left - should get 200k out of those. Other than oil and filter changes, nothing to note. I'll do my plugs @100k - any suggestions there on brand/type?