whew, ran over a deer tonight

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: whew, ran over a deer tonight

I adopted a feral cat a number of years ago... today you wouldn't be able tell the difference. I do have to say she is street smart which translates into me being able to teach her tricks... So far I have "come here", "sit", and "stay' down.... I am in the process (but losing) to get her to rollover on command.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Banned

livvie,

I'd LOVE for some of my cats to do that!

If got one street cat that is halfway there. I'm allocated to pet him three times, then he says: 'that's it" and jumps off the ledge.

www.spencerthelion.com

Old 02-09-2006, 11:13 AM
04 prius 350,000km

ok so if you see a cat or a dog in front of you going 60 would you go straight or try to dodge it? since insurance companies will cover for you if you hit an animal and even cover for your mess if you try to save the animal too!

but **** putting a deer in your car sounds like a lot of work haha.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Glad everyone is ok, and I hope the cats enjoyed their meal! (eew...)

I live in an urban area, so I don't usually have to worry about deer or large animals. But I ran into a wheel that was bouncing down the roadway-- or maybe I should say the wheel ran into me- Yikes! This was on a freeway going at least 50 mph (people were slowing to avoid it). I was lucky and only the bumper got scratched and a little hole in it. I learned something, though, that I thought I'd share:

In California, if you have to replace or repair your bumper(s) and the carpool lane stickers will be impacted, it's easy to replace the stickers. You fill out the same form from the DMV as you did to get them, only you check the "replacement" box, write in why, and fill in the number from the original sticker. Write another check for $8, send it in, and you're good to go.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philmcneal
ok so if you see a cat or a dog in front of you going 60 would you go straight or try to dodge it? since insurance companies will cover for you if you hit an animal and even cover for your mess if you try to save the animal too!

but **** putting a deer in your car sounds like a lot of work haha.
I would have to say the women would swerve & crash rather than hit the cat or dog. ( could be wrong though)

I know of a woman that flipped her 6 month old car for that very reason..

A deer, cow or bear on the other hand will really mess up a car , like totaled if your going fast enough.....

P.S. Im a dog lover, allergic to cats!

Old 02-09-2006, 01:24 PM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
Wow, I'm glad you're okay. That sounds scary. I guess it makes me feel a little safer in my HCH I that it can handle something like that reasonably well. When my friends have accidents but come out all right, somehow, probably perversely, it makes me think that those cars were pretty safe. A friend of mine was flipped over in his Ford Focus once by a semi, and none of the four people in the car ended up with any injuries worse than whiplash, so I've been impressed by the Ford Focus' safety ever since. Does that sound strange? Anyway, best of luck to you and the kitties and I hope you get a car wash today.
coincidentally enough, i had washed the car yesterday. today it's snowing again.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:26 PM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by PriusGuy04
I would have to say the women would swerve & crash rather than hit the cat or dog. ( could be wrong though)

I know of a woman that flipped her 6 month old car for that very reason..

A deer, cow or bear on the other hand will really mess up a car , like totaled if your going fast enough.....

P.S. Im a dog lover, allergic to cats!
i would swerve if i could do it safely, but everything i have read says to just hang on and go straight at it (especially if it's already dead). you have a better chance of keeping control of the vehicle. i never really felt like i was losing control, but of course, it happened so fast that it was over before i could say OH SH#T.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
I adopted a feral cat a number of years ago... today you wouldn't be able tell the difference. I do have to say she is street smart which translates into me being able to teach her tricks... So far I have "come here", "sit", and "stay' down.... I am in the process (but losing) to get her to rollover on command.
You know there are alot of nuts out there we had a lady that would go and adopt cats from the humane sservices & the pound and take unfixed males and females out to different locations and set them free and would go and feed them everyday....

The pound would put out humane live traps to catch the cats & the woman would go and set them free.. She succesfully harbored cat colonys of 150 or more.. she was eventully arrested & the cats caught those who could be tamed again were adopted out as for the wild ones?? well you know..

Congrats on taming the feral!!

Old 02-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm really amazed, hitting a deer (even a slightly pre-runover one) and not having damage, that is great.

I hit a large raccoon (they can get pretty big, not close to a deer though) at about 45mph in my 2006 Civic (applicable to hybrids) and since the actual bumper is way up high under all the plastic the raccoon missed it & went through the bottom lip of the bumper plastic, the black plastic smile part of the bumper facade, into the A/C condensor, pushing that into the radiator. No leaks, car drove fine but man what a bunch of damage.

The civic hadn't even been filled up once...I guess that's what I get for not getting a hybrid. ;-)

Old 02-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PriusGuy04
You know there are alot of nuts out there we had a lady that would go and adopt cats from the humane sservices & the pound and take unfixed males and females out to different locations and set them free and would go and feed them everyday....

The pound would put out humane live traps to catch the cats & the woman would go and set them free.. She succesfully harbored cat colonys of 150 or more.. she was eventully arrested & the cats caught those who could be tamed again were adopted out as for the wild ones?? well you know..

Congrats on taming the feral!!
The term for accumulating too many pets is animal collection. Since they are not finding homes or a barn for them, yes this is bad.