When was your first service due according to Maint. Minder?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: When was your first service due according to Maint. Minder?

I believe I have a bout 2500 miles and still have 70% oil life.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

7500 miles - just hit 15%

Old 09-20-2007, 04:59 PM
1 tank at a time ...

K & N does make a filter, I have one in mine. It didn't seem to make a big difference but my driving is 60-75% 10 miles or less and a lot of AC here in north Texas.

And to answer the original question I had my A1 service at 7,980 miles.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:58 PM
AJR
Active Enthusiast

Well, I just had my oil changed today at a Big O Tire across the street from my work. I would have normally done it myself, but this weekend is going to be very crazy and next week I'm going on a 1200+ mile trip! They charged me $12.00 since I had everything + $3.50 oil disposal fee. I also had a tire rotation done (free) and I had bought the PIAA 9005 DRL/high beam lights and could only get the passenger side in, so I asked if they could install the driver's side. They charged me $20.00 for that.

Anyway, so I bring Big O my 4 quarts of M1 0-20, my Napa Gold Oil Filter, a crush washer, and my 4oz bottle from BlackStone Testing. After reading many posts, most of you are saying the oil fill is about 3.4 qts. I told the guy when I dropped it off that it should only be about 3.4-3.5 qts and can I please have the rest of the last bottle back. So I go to pick it up and the guy says the oil is in the trunk in the plastic bag I brough it in. I pay, get the keys, go around back and open the trunk. The only thing there is the BlackStone bottle. I go to the back stall and ask around who did the oil change on the HCH. I found the guy and he said "It took all 4 quarts - I checked the fill line and it is at the right level".

I haven't checked the dipstick yet, but that just concerns me that they used all 4 quarts. Does that sound right or do you think it's overfilled? I know one downside is longer warm-up period with more oil. Are there any others? Could the extra .5 qt do any damage? Will it be working harder to push more oil and/or increased system pressure thus lose some FE? Should I siphon out some of the oil with a turkey baster or crank siphon? Dammit, I knew I should have done this oil change! Now I'm all paranoid

Old 09-26-2007, 06:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm not sure, but doesn't it use more oil when you change the filter too? Or did you take that into account with the 3.4L?

Old 09-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast

My first HCH-2 didn't need its first oil change until 9700 miles. On my current one I'm at about 5k miles and it says 60% so I think you should all be aiming for 10k mile intervals. I went on a trip from Kzoo, MI to Niagara falls clear down to orlando and tampa and back averaging about 80MPH and had the little car clear to 105MPH for a while and averaged ~42MPG for the trip. The past 600 miles I'm at 49MPG for normal driving. So I wouldn't say I'm driving like a granny...