When to Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Proud owner HCHII
Default When to Wax?

When should we start to wax polish the HCH II ? My manual gives me to understand it should be started straight-away. However, we used to allow new paint to harden for a while before waxing, say 3 to 6 months. I suppose the test is to start once the water no longer forms droplets but rather pools. Grateful for some advice.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: When to Wax?

When my car was new the dealer told me it is good for about a year, so at around 9 months I appplied its first waxing. I've used Memoirs Gold paste since then and use their spray touch-up. I apply the paste twice a year and my car stll looks like day one.
After 60K miles I do have some rock/gravel pits on the front and need to get one of those touch-up sticks.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Proud owner HCHII

Thanks for that. Yes I usually wax in spring and autumn. As you say it keeps the paint in A1 condition.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

I already began waxing. Florida's sun is a harsh on any paint, so I always take care of it.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I throw a coat on every 6 months, it does get harsh here in fla..

Old 03-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Don't forget to Claybar the paint before you wax for the first time. In my experience it's been the best thing for my paint over the last two years since I started using it.

Old 03-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Wax it NOW... Wash it, clay, rewash, dry, polish and then wax.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:40 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: When to Wax?

Originally Posted by psyshack
Wax it NOW... Wash it, clay, rewash, dry, polish and then wax.
I Agree, I already have.

Terry

Old 03-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's always good to clay in spring/fall (and especially right after you pick the car up, there is a lot of trash that gets stuck in the paint while the car is in transit.).

Frequency of waxing depends on type of wax/sealent. I used Klasse All in One / 2 coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze on my STi and I am on the 6th month now. It's ready for another clay/AIO/SG. If you use something like Zaino or Klasse and put a lot of coats of the Sealant Glaze you can extend that time out.

I also have had a lot of luck with Rejex and 3m Hand Glaze. Rejex is extremely easy to apply, it holds up very well. I always rejex the front bumper and clear bra, regardless of the paint protectant I use. Much easier to clean bugs off the rejex.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Enthusiast

I Love Zaino and also use Adam's Premium Polish (Something about the aroma of that Quik Detailer). It leaves the finish so slippery.

Quick Reply: When to Wax?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands