Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   When to Wax? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/when-wax-6333/)

Tulip 03-10-2006 08:43 AM

When to Wax?

When should we start to wax polish the HCH II ? My manual gives me to understand it should be started straight-away. However, we used to allow new paint to harden for a while before waxing, say 3 to 6 months. I suppose the test is to start once the water no longer forms droplets but rather pools. Grateful for some advice.

Hot_Georgia_2004 03-10-2006 10:14 AM

Re: When to Wax?

When my car was new the dealer told me it is good for about a year, so at around 9 months I appplied its first waxing. I've used Memoirs Gold paste since then and use their spray touch-up. I apply the paste twice a year and my car stll looks like day one.
After 60K miles I do have some rock/gravel pits on the front and need to get one of those touch-up sticks.

Tulip 03-10-2006 10:18 AM

Thanks for that. Yes I usually wax in spring and autumn. As you say it keeps the paint in A1 condition.

JJanney 03-10-2006 11:09 AM

I already began waxing. Florida's sun is a harsh on any paint, so I always take care of it.

PriusGuy04 03-10-2006 01:41 PM

I throw a coat on every 6 months, it does get harsh here in fla..

biotech_chris 03-10-2006 04:09 PM

Don't forget to Claybar the paint before you wax for the first time. In my experience it's been the best thing for my paint over the last two years since I started using it.

psyshack 03-10-2006 05:58 PM

Wax it NOW... Wash it, clay, rewash, dry, polish and then wax.

tigerhonaker 03-10-2006 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by psyshack
Wax it NOW... Wash it, clay, rewash, dry, polish and then wax.

I Agree, I already have. :shade:

Terry

wundej 03-11-2006 03:39 PM

It's always good to clay in spring/fall (and especially right after you pick the car up, there is a lot of trash that gets stuck in the paint while the car is in transit.).

Frequency of waxing depends on type of wax/sealent. I used Klasse All in One / 2 coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze on my STi and I am on the 6th month now. It's ready for another clay/AIO/SG. If you use something like Zaino or Klasse and put a lot of coats of the Sealant Glaze you can extend that time out.

I also have had a lot of luck with Rejex and 3m Hand Glaze. Rejex is extremely easy to apply, it holds up very well. I always rejex the front bumper and clear bra, regardless of the paint protectant I use. Much easier to clean bugs off the rejex.

byoung 03-13-2006 01:00 PM

I Love Zaino and also use Adam's Premium Polish (Something about the aroma of that Quik Detailer). It leaves the finish so slippery.