What I'd like to see changed for '05 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 09:48 AM
Enthusiast

OK, not going to be getting one myself as I have an '03, but...here's some things I'd love to see changed, improved, etc. between the first generation HCH and the next generation HCH...a Top-10 list, if you will...in no particular order...

1.) OEM tires with more than 20k-30k treadlife.

2.) Improve airflow and drainage from the outside top corners of the windshield around the 'A' pillars and the side windows. The outside of the pillar is CONSTANTLY gunked with road grime, makes it look like the car's "mascera is running". I've used Rain-X wipes on the pillar and that helps a bit, but it's still quite annoying.

3.) Built-in lifetime MPG guage, instead of relying on Trip B (which you then have to make sure people don't touch)

4.) More accurate MPG sensor, and one doesn't seem to only update in 0.3/0.4mpg intervals. (Ever notice you can have 45.1 mpg and 45.4 mpg, but never anything in between? That drives me bonkers.)

5.) Add logic to the auto-stop to make it activate in the following additional condition (tied into the ECON button)

a) Brake is depressed for more than 7-10 seconds. This would be PERFECT
for stop-and-go freeway traffic. Currently this only works if your speed reaches 10mph before you brake. Many times in freeway logjams or even at restaurant drive-thru lanes I turn my car off (left in neutral so I can start up quickly and move) to save gas.

WOULD LOVE TO SEE THIS RETRO'D to current generation HCH's.

6.) Brighter headlights...OR...at least make XID's more readily available. Those lights are just nasty. Also replaced the bulbs with some whiter light ones, but they burned out after just 9 months.

7.) LED tail lights, turn signals, back-plate lights, and interior lights. Looking into places like www.superbrightleds.com and www.lumileds.com for incandescent bulb replacements but it's slow going and they're less efficient.

8.) A stereo system that can show more information when playing a CD than just what track it is on, and that only if you push the mode button 6 times. Also, having more juice would be nice...even with the volume maxxed some CD's are kinda anemic. Better speakers wouldn't hurt either.

9.) Shorter, stiffer antenna. About 18-24" would be great. Keep the 90° swivel though.

10.) More external colors. The Prius is kicking butt with the number of colors, shouldn't be that big of a deal to add another 3 or 4 bolder colors to the lineup.

Old 09-10-2004, 05:07 AM
Enthusiast

I totally agree with you on the headlights! They're really puny :o compared to the HID retrofits on my Prelude. Are there any JDM headlights for the Civic that offer halogen projectors or, better yet, HIDs? HIDs actually consume less power than halogens (35 watts vs. 55 watts) so you'd think Honda would be all over that.

Old 09-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

More:
11) A dashboard that is completely digital
12) An indicator for lean burn mode or % thereof (Cool)
13) An indicator which shows if any cyls are shut down (Cool)
14) Put the AC compressor on an engine load sensor with adjustable reference point, to switch off the compressor even under the slightest load if desired....OR....
15) Put an A/C on-off switch on the shift or brake handle so your passengers don't have to see you always working it
16) Make fender skirts and improved air dams available
17) Get rid of the front struts and replace with double wishbones like the rear
18) Allow the power windows to work without the key in the "engine run" position
19) Allow the blower fan to work without the key in the "engine run" position
20) Provide a safe throttle lock down device that will release with a tap of the brake
21) Factory hot air mods for the winter
22) Put electric lock switches on ALL doors
23) This ties into Falcon18323's #8: Rear deck speakers that are bolted UNDERNEATH.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:03 PM
Enthusiast

Oh, another one. A fuel guage that is not a digital representation of the analog weight of the tank. Something more accurate.