Recalls - Battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

All HCH owners,

I've been reading a lot about "recalls" in the Insight and some HCHs - has anyone had this happen? When it does, do you know why and is it at a certain mileage?

I think I've made my mind about getting, one, but this issue seems to be persisitent and I haven't seen anything like this with the Prius.

I appreciate any inforamtion you can provide.

Thanks! B)

Old 09-12-2004, 02:06 PM
Site Founder

I've heard zero about this issue, though obviously I'm a bit more informed about the Prius. If you find anything significant, please let me know.

Old 09-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Azwildbill2:

___It is called a “recal”. Although some say it is a normal but rare occurrence, all it does is drop all known information on the individual batteries attributes in the pack and charges them back up to a known voltage and current carrying capacity. The problem arises when this happens; all assist is lost until the forced charge brings the pack up to a known SOC. If a recal begins to happen on a weekly or heaven help you daily basis, your pack is probably seriously degraded and will more then likely need to be replaced. I have never read of an HCH having this issue so I wouldn’t worry about it to much … The Prius’ pack is more bulletproof in this regard because the BCM or whatever it is called on the Prius won’t let the pack discharge to the extreme’s those of us with manuals can take them too. I have never heard of an HCH or Insight w/ CVT’s have a recal event either as the transmission and BCM is tuned not to let such a discharge happen under any or all circumstances. At least that is my interpretation anyway.

___The best way to lengthen the pack in a hybrid is to not use it unless it is necessary or at least limit the amount of current drawn under all conditions. In other words, don’t accelerate hard when starting out, in reverse, or while climbing mountains or large hills for example.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-13-2004, 03:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wayne,
When this occurs can it be described as:
The car turns off hidden charging and allows the pack to discharge to 1/2.
(I mean simply letting it drain under normal use w/o hidden charging until approx. 1/2?)

Then maintain the pack at approx. 1/2 for a few miles before activating the hidden charging again?

Old 09-13-2004, 07:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the clarification.