What I Want For X-mas

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What I Want For X-mas

Too cool, and even though it is not real time, at least it is truthfull.....there is a law in Wa. state that prohibits this type of thing...not sure I would anyway, may set one of the Dodge Ram set so prevelant here over the edge.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Energy Independence

That's cool, Dave!
But I'm with Bob - it's probably illegal in TX, and I'd be rammed out here by a Ford F350 or a Hummer, for sure! But I REALLY like it.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:45 AM
hypermiler wannabe
Red face Well, that didn't take long....

Last night while leaving the pizza store parking lot, I was kindly informed by a local police officer that state law prohibits all flashing lights other than yellow or red, and no civilian vehicle can display blue lights on the exterior. So I've got a double whammy.

He was very nice and didn't threaten to cite me, just said it violated two motor vehicle laws. So I didn't ask for any book or chapter references, I just turned the display off and went home to my pizza.

From the officer's statement, it appears I can remove the marquee module and place it in the back window or on the dash, but can not leave it on the exterior of the car.
Oh well, it was cool while it lasted...

Old 01-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'd probably double check it - police officers are not always completely aware of all the regulations. Specially a local officer quoting state regulations! The police officer may personally not like it, and feel its not right. But it can still be legal... just my $0.02 worth!

Old 01-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I know in California it is illegal to have any blue lights anywhere on your car. I'm not sure if the only allowed colors are yellow/amber and red.