What caused me to get 10 more mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 06:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What caused me to get 10 more mpg?

You think those dealers or the factory might not be filling that 1st tank as full as they could. It all adds up.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Banned
Default Don't Forget the Learning Curve

Your technique probably improved some the second time around.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ppgroup
I just filled up after my first tank, and averaged about 51mpg, based on 515 miles and 10.2 gallons put into the tank. According the the trip computer, I have been averaging about 60mpg (over my last 300+ miles). I suspect that my tank was not really full when I got it. I suspect unless you topped yours off after you purchased your car, it was not really full either. Unless the tank is filled to the exact same level as you started with, you cannot get an accurate measurement.

It does take several tanks of gas averaged out to get as close as possible to the true mileage, as you likely do not fill the tank to the same level each time. As long as my driving habits do not change, I expect my 2nd tank to reflect what my trip computer says, which, like you, is around 60. Bravo!

Just out of curiosity, what did your trip computer say, 49 or 59?
This is incredible. No matter what I do, I can't get reach 45 MPG except once. With or without AC, Cruise Control, windows up/down, slow/slow high accel, whatever, on my 6th tank of gas already, I can only average 42 MPG for the tank. Even though my wife once had it at 74MPG for a 380 mile trip, my lifetime average is still at 40.1 MPG.

Also, this car has no power in it whatsoever. I SCUBA dive. When I put two sets of gear in the back (about 300lbs), the car hardly can accel and just by the skin of its teethe can get over small hills (freeway overpasses). I'm thinking about trading it for a Camry Hybrid.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 07-13-2006, 01:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shawnb
This is incredible. No matter what I do, I can't get reach 45 MPG except once. With or without AC, Cruise Control, windows up/down, slow/slow high accel, whatever, on my 6th tank of gas already, I can only average 42 MPG for the tank. Even though my wife once had it at 74MPG for a 380 mile trip, my lifetime average is still at 40.1 MPG.

Also, this car has no power in it whatsoever. I SCUBA dive. When I put two sets of gear in the back (about 300lbs), the car hardly can accel and just by the skin of its teethe can get over small hills (freeway overpasses). I'm thinking about trading it for a Camry Hybrid.

Thanks,
Shawn

camry hybrid sounds like the solution. significantly more power and pretty good mpg. if you're getting right around 40mpg, the camry will get your a lot more power and probably around 36mpg.