Florida Extended Warranty Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Florida Extended Warranty Help

New HCH arriving soon, and took care of the paperwork today since I was in the area. I see there are great deals to be had with the HondaCare warranty, but Florida is not a player...

6/120k = $1600
8/120k = $1920

Manager says prices are not negotiable thanks to Florida warranty laws. Any other Florida owners find a work around?
Help!

Old 07-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Florida Extended Warranty Help

Tell him to keep his warranty. FOr 1600.00 I'd gamble it. If you google Honda warranty you can get a factory warranty for about 700.00. The markup is huge on extended warranties. For 700.00 I'd jump on it.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OnTheFly
Manager says prices are not negotiable thanks to Florida warranty laws. Any other Florida owners find a work around?
Help!
Not being a Fla resident I have no idea if that is true. I wonder if the dealer is giving you a line or not. It would be interesting to find out. Would the dealer be willing to put that statement in writing? If not, then I would doubt his veracity. If he did, and it turns out it is not law, could there be any judgement against him?
Just curious.

Mike

Old 07-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Try these 2 links:

http://www.myhondawarranty.com/

http://hondawarrantyinfo.com/

I used the first one and saved 50% from what my dealer quoted me.

I checked it out on this forum and a number of people have used it and purchased the warrantee. You can do a search on saccucci and/or bernardi on here to read all the discussions.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OnTheFly
New HCH arriving soon, and took care of the paperwork today since I was in the area. I see there are great deals to be had with the HondaCare warranty, but Florida is not a player...

6/120k = $1600
8/120k = $1920

Help!
Unfortunately Florida treats extended warranties and service contracts as Insurance policies.

As such they require a guarantybond to be posted for each policy, sometimes in excess of $1 Million. Because of this, the rates in Florida will always be higher and many companies (from Electronics to Automobiles) simply won't write a contract in Florida.

You can bet that bond cost is included in those Florida rates.

(Just to understand, such a guaranty bond for say $1 Million, does not cost a huge amount but it can cost a few hundred dollars per policy...)

Last edited by mickster; 07-11-2006 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the input. Now, the decision to gamble or not...

Old 07-13-2006, 04:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gchu
Try these 2 links:

http://www.myhondawarranty.com/

http://hondawarrantyinfo.com/

I used the first one and saved 50% from what my dealer quoted me.

I checked it out on this forum and a number of people have used it and purchased the warrantee. You can do a search on saccucci and/or bernardi on here to read all the discussions.
I just checked out the saccucci website and when you select Florida - it fails due to Florida contract issues.

I had assumed that since Florida was listed as an option it would work. Guess I should have did a little more digging.

Sorry to raise false hope....

Old 07-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Enthusiast

I got my 06 HCH at Courtesy Honda in Sanford, FL. Granted, I was trading in a 2005 Jeep Wrangler that I was 3000 upside down in, and this is my first car without a cosigner (I had to talk to three different managers to walk out of there with a vehicle), the Honda Extended Warranty (7 years/120,000 miles) was explained in great detail to both me and my father (used to be in the biz) and Dad said it was a good deal.

I didn't do any research on warranty laws or contracts or anything before walking into the showroom, but for my situation (needed a car with good gas mileage ASAP, trading in a vehicle I still owed big $$ on, and telling the dealership I didn't have a cosigner and it was me or nobody in that vehicle) the warranty is going to be worth every penny, I think.

Though we didn't haggle with the Finance Manager on the price of the warranty, if you tell him your monthly payments cannot exceed $_____ with the warranty included and you stand up to walk away, they will figure out a way to make it work.

Plus, if you're like me, and this is a car you are going to be driving for a good deal of time, be it because they financed it for a million years or because you drive cars till they die, you're going to want that warranty.

Bottom line? The standard warranty that comes with the vehicle may be good for you if you don't drive much, or if you aren't keeping the car for that long.... any other circumstance - it's a good deal.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

The State of Florida requires all service contract rates to be filed with the State's Dept of Insurance before the policies can be offered. If a dealer (or other seller) deviates from the published premiums, they risk losing tha ability to offer service contracts in the state of FL. Period. The good side of this is that you do not have to worry about someone paying less than you (or more than you) for the same coverage. Also, it is all but impossible for fly by night service contract providers to do business in FL. The negative here is that you have to pay all of the markup, no negotiation or discounting.

HondaCare coverages cannot even be transferred to FL residents, IE, if I as an IL resident sold you my car, it would not be possible to transfer the coverage to you if you are a FL resident.

So there you have it. You can pay the price (should be the same for any dealer for HondaCare coverage), or choose to pay for repairs out of pocket as they occur.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by floridagirlsyd
I didn't do any research on warranty laws or contracts or anything before walking into the showroom, but for my situation (needed a car with good gas mileage ASAP, trading in a vehicle I still owed big $$ on, and telling the dealership I didn't have a cosigner and it was me or nobody in that vehicle) the warranty is going to be worth every penny, I think.

Though we didn't haggle with the Finance Manager on the price of the warranty, if you tell him your monthly payments cannot exceed $_____ with the warranty included and you stand up to walk away, they will figure out a way to make it work.
Welcome to the forums. I agree with your advice (for florida residents). Work the service contract details into the intial purchase, adding it later will leave you no room to negotiate. They will not discount the service contract, but they may use some of the profit there to offset any other consessions or discounts that you may request....

For residents of other states use the online sites recommended earlier in this post as a basis for your HondaCare pricing.