Warning Light – Gas Low

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Warning Light – Gas Low

Originally Posted by rgx
In my car, the fuel light comes on quite consistently when there is about 9 liters left, which means I can drive 180 km more. Last time I stretched it 140 km, and then filled 46.37 liters. My manual says the tank holds up to 50 liters, not 47.
Humm... yet another difference between the Canadian bound models versus many others. My manual states the fuel tank capacity at 45 liters not 50 like yours. In fact if I fill my tank some time after the warning light comes on I usually top it off with 36 -37 liters.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 08-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
Humm... yet another difference between the Canadian bound models versus many others. My manual states the fuel tank capacity at 45 liters not 50 like yours. In fact if I fill my tank some time after the warning light comes on I usually top it off with 36 -37 liters.

Cheers;

MSantos
Actually, my manual says 50 Litres too. But the Honda Canada web site says 45.5 litres. If you look on the Honda US website they state 12.3 us Gallons which is 46.6 litres. I recall reading somewhere it was 47 litres.

So God knows what the actual size is.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

My manual says 50 too.

I top up before the light comes on, when there is 2 bar left, and reach time, I can pump 39l into the tank.

however, I notice the "bars" is not very consistent. My 3rd bar disappears within minutes from the 4th.. as if that bar has less than 1 litre of fuel.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here is another data point for you in U.S. measurements. I filled up this weekend after driving 548.5 miles and it only took 11.3 gallons. The car is not broken in yet as this is only the third tank. In theory I had another 1.1 gal left in the tank. I drove about 25 miles after the light came on just before the gas gauge dropped to 1 bar. About 15 of those miles were with the gas gauge at 0 bars. I am pretty sure I could have driven another 60 miles before being out of gas. 50 miles with a moderate degree of confidence. This seems to match other observations from people on this website that state you should be able to drive 70 miles after the light comes on if you are getting in the high 40's for mpg. I can see 600 mile tanks in the near future once this baby breaks in fully.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Has anyone ever driven long enough were the bars were out then two bars came back after driving awhile? On a trip to Yosemite this happened to me and it scared the crap out of me.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by birchman2
Don't have the slightess idea. It was very late and it left like the light was on for a very long time. I was headed to Yosemite and I was in the middle of nowhere and I couldn't find a gas station. This was my first 600 mile tank. Man I started driving as efficient as I knew how. Using extreme P&G on the freeway luckily I found a gas station and I was the only person on the road. Funny thing the gas station was closed but, the pumps were still "on". I think that might be a Northern Cali thing cause all the stations as I drove by looked closed. 613 miles that tank with the fill-up requiring 11.2 gallons. I felt stupid after finding I still had over a gallon to go.
So if the pumps were on but the station was closed, how did you pay for the gas?

Old 08-22-2006, 10:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mickster
So if the pumps were on but the station was closed, how did you pay for the gas?
I put my credit card in the gas pump and viola I pumped gas into my car. I've never seen a station without an attendant all the lights were off inside but, the pumps were lit up. There was a guy power washing the concrete though.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by birchman2
Has anyone ever driven long enough were the bars were out then two bars came back after driving awhile? On a trip to Yosemite this happened to me and it scared the crap out of me.
Actually, that happened to me this week. I find the fuel gauge can be a little off sometimes, especially on inclines. But this is Chicago- it's supposed to be FLAT!

It went from three bars to one with the light on and then back up to three bars over the course of one 22-mile commute. I was on 680 miles for the tank when the light first went on. Two commutes later, when it hit 710 miles, I filled up, not long after the light came on again. I put around 12.5 gallons in, so it must have been getting towards empty. 30 miles seemed like a bit of a push to me to go after the light first came on, even if the fuel gauge seemed to be acting up a bit. Better to be safe than sorry, so I headed right for a station when the light came back on.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Enthusiast

My light came on this past weekend...1or 2 bars left then all of a sudden No Bars! Got kinda nervous and had to drive about another 10 miles or so before the next gas station.

But I did'nt fill it up so I don't know how much gasoline I had left.
$20. @$3.11 a gallon gave me about a bar or so over a half tank!
I probably had a half of gallon gasoline or so...maybe more.

PPD

Old 08-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Enthusiast

Someone told me that all gas gauges are not accurate nearing an empty tank, as the gauge is guessing. I guess it is more noticeable on a digital display vs. an analog dial. Also that it is not good to drive with a low tank as the likehood of the gas not getting filtered thru the gas filter increases.

Quick Reply: Warning Light – Gas Low

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands