Tinters are bad for your FE

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Tinters are bad for your FE

Two days ago I brought the '06 in for tinting with 45mpg on the meter. When I picked it up, it said 34mpg.

So, yesterday, I dropped the '07 off at the dealer for an oil change -- the tinters would be picking the car up from there. I reset the trip B to see how much they were driving the car.

When I picked it up there were 3 miles on the car -- about right from dealership to tinting place. And the mpg was at 5.8!!!

I don't like to think about it too much. But, we've had a bit of a cold streak and the installer may have left the car running to keep the interior warm during the work. At least that's what I hope happened.

So, the dealer fudged my 1st tank of the '07 and the tinter fudged my 2nd.

Hopefully the cars won't leave our hands for the next 6 month.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Tinters are bad for your FE

and don't ever valet it. LOL

Old 04-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Great Mileage and Green

5.8....who would have though that was even possible with an HCH I or II. Look at it this way, you have nowhere to go but up.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Vegetarian

I don't think I've ever seen a single digit number, for me the first few calculations can be around 14, but it goes up quick. They must have left it running. I don't remember getting hit on my tank when I got my windows tinted, but I think I must have had a lot of miles on it already.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

The tinters probably had to leave it running with the heater on if it was cold where you are. The adhesive drys faster that way so the customer is less likely to mess it up. They probably advised you to not roll the windows down for a day or so too I'm guessing.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Omit the first two tanks and start over with your lifetime MPG "after full possession" took place. :-)

Old 04-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've hit near-single digit FE (about 11mpg). It took a lousy mountain road with huge rocks for the roadbed. I wish I knew what the slope of it was, but it was about 7-10 miles up to the top. Was stuck in 1st gear most of the way up. The tank FE was, of course, screwed by this.

...on the way down, I saw one car that had driven over the edge since the morning and then I got a flat tire.