Tinted Driver-side Window Off-Track

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Tinted Driver-side Window Off-Track

After a year my HCH-II's drivers side window is coming off track. I had Honda look at it and they stated that they have to replace the window in addition to a couple of other devices. Now, I just had my windows tinted and I wasn't crazy about the idea of re-tinting the window. I asked them about using the original window. They insisted that because of warranty, they need to replace the window per the Service Bulletin.

I suggested that Honda should pay for the tint, since it isn't my fault that the window isn't working properly. The tint wouldn't have to be replaced had the window not failed to work properly in the first place.

The Service Manager spoke w/ me and stated that he contacted Honda and asked if they would pay for my tint. Surprise, surprise they said no.

I told them to forget it. I just got my windows tinted and I'm not going to go through the hassle of getting it re-tinted. Plus, it will cost me an additional 50.00, I'm sure. ( I've yet to contact the place that did the tint to get an estimate ).

Has anyone run into this issue yet?
Do I have any options other than to bite the bullet and get it fixed and tinted?

Jess

Old 11-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Tinted Driver-side Window Off-Track

I have had the same issue. I needed the window replaced, the track, and the motor for the window. All was replaced under warrenty, and the window was tinted at no additional cost. I had this work done at my dealership with no problems and done all in one day.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hmmmm... Since Honda has cover this in the past I would try a different dealer

Old 11-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

I may have to call around. They're willing to replace everything at no charge, just not the tint. I wouldn't want them to tint the window as this may void my tint warranty. I'd rather bring the receipt from my tinter to have reimbursed. Seems so easy, I don't know why Honda (of Lake Norman) has to make everything so difficult.

Jess

Old 11-15-2007, 11:34 AM

another option (if you are technically inclined) would be to keep the old window sfter they replace it and then switch it out yourself.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Usually with warranty work, all parts are sent back to the manufacture to dealership reimbursement.

If they (Honda) did not do that, dealerships and indies would call in fake claims all the time..

You are only allowed to keep parts if your car is in for body repair work (ie, accident claim).

Disclaimer:
Laws vary from state to state, check with your local dealership or local ordinance for more information.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Part Time Hybrids

Originally Posted by arbittan
Disclaimer:
Laws vary from state to state, check with your local dealership or local ordinance for more information.
hmm I've wondered. Tints are illegal here on side and front windows.

So if I were ever to have the window tinted and had the same window issue would Honda refuse to fix and replace the tints due to state law?

Old 11-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

No, they will fix your window, but they are not required to replace your tint.

The law part comes from trying to keep the part (window) after they replaced it with a new window or re-manufactured window. The old window is now the property of Honda and is used with their (Honda's) insurance (provider) company to seek repayment of loss.

What some dealer might do is offer to re tint your windows for you at no charge, but again that is dealer discretion.

Think of it this way. If your computer Hard Disk Drive crashes and you lose all your data, the company that will replace your HDD is not required to replace your data. They tell you in writing that they are not responsible for data loss. Even if the data is retrievable, the consultant that works on your computer signs an agreement to the effect that they are not allow to transfer your data to your new replaced HDD. If they do, they put themselves at risk for a lawsuit and the company. If the customer decides he wants to sue. Now the computer company will allow you to keep the old HDD if you purchase it from them.

Honda could let him keep the old window if he pays for it.

Last edited by arbittan; 11-15-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:50 PM

I'm one of those people who doesn't understand why people tint their windows, so I can't answer to your question about the tinting issue. However, I had a similar mis-track problem on my HCH1 on the passenger side. I had a window glass repair guy fix it for me. I hadn't thought of asking him, but when he hopped in to move the car (I was having him fix a rock chip) he noticed that it didn't work properly. I explained to him that it wouldn't roll down all the way because there was some sort of mistrack or blockage inside the door. He offered to fix it and did the job for $25. I don't know how similar our problems may be, but it might be worth a try, those guys deal with auto glass problems all day long.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Mine doesn't go up all the way if I let it go up by itself. It stops short about 2 inches and then goes all the way back down. I have to hold the up switch to get it all the way up. I even had it go up all the way, but had a gap on the rear side of the window. Had to roll it back down and back up again.

Jess

Quick Reply: Tinted Driver-side Window Off-Track

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands