Thinking about trading HCH in for an 09 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Thinking about trading HCH in for an 09 Fit

So, the three main problems I had with the original fit have all been fixed in the 09 model. There's now a telescoping wheel, a driver armrest, and most importantly, instantaneous and average Fuel Economy display.

When I was shopping for my HCH I was lamenting the fact that honda had given up on the hatchback concept because that's what I really wanted. I never wanted a car with a trunk, for me it's just not an efficient use of space the way I use a car.

So now that they have a (really cool) hatchback available again, and they've fixed my major gripes with it... I am really tempted to swap my HCH in for a Fit. Plus I'm approaching that mileage barrier where the battery problems seem to appear and I'd rather move on before I get stuck with a $6000 repair bill, because that would easily pay for the trade up.

Not sure why I posted this, maybe just to collect thoughts about the fit and weighing the roughly 10% mileage drop I would experience. If I didn't have a long commute it would be an easier decision.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Default Re: Thinking about trading HCH in for an 09 Fit

Keep in mind that the manual trans Fit lost mileage as the gears are suited more for sporty driving than for economy.

The auto trans economy did not change from last years.

It should be a great car. If I was in the market for a car it would def be on my short list.

Have you test driven it yet?

nf

P.S. If you can wait until next spring there will be a $18k Honda Insight that is a four door hatchback. It uses the Fit chasis.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast

I recently test drove an 09 Fit out of curiousity. It sure looks cute, but a couple of things put me off it.

First, I don't know if it's the suspension or the short wheel base or both, but you feel every bump in the road with this vehicle. When I got back in my HCH, it felt as smooth as a Caddy.

The second thing was the engine noise. Each time you give it gas from a stop, the engine roars quite noisily. Once you get up to speed, it's OK, but starting out is a bit raucous. (I drove an automatic, by the way.) The HCH is really is so much quieter. Maybe I've been spoiled now.

So by all means, give it a good test drive, and try to find some choppy streets.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by zimbop
Plus I'm approaching that mileage barrier where the battery problems seem to appear and I'd rather move on before I get stuck with a $6000 repair bill, because that would easily pay for the trade up.
Did the HCH I's with CVTs have battery issues? I thought that was mainly in the 5 speeds. Regardless, the price of new batteries has dropped significantly in the past year and I would expect to see that continue. I would count on a replacement being more in the $2k range than $6k.

I would say to wait until the new Insight comes out and drive it back to back with the Fit if you want to change to a hatch. It has a hatch back, although they haven't released any pictures of the trunk with the seats down yet. The Fit should prove better for taller things, but the Insight should do very well for everything else.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:33 PM
ice
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noflash
P.S. If you can wait until next spring there will be a $18k Honda Insight that is a four door hatchback. It uses the Fit chasis.
That sounds cool.. hope to check it out soon...

Old 10-09-2008, 08:53 PM

I did test drive an 08 fit Auto and hated the transmission, it was noisy and choppy. I really like the CVT in my HCH, but I was a die-hard manual driver before that, it's the first automatic I ever bought. I would get a 5sp if I got a Fit.

But I have not test driven an 09 yet for a very strange reason. The dealer refused to give me any information about whether they had one in stock until I told him what I had to trade in. At first I didn't want to tell him anything because I probably won't trade my HCH in, but he said they won't sell a Fit to anyone who isn't trading in. Why? I can't believe he actually told me this, but he said that since they're in demand and the dealer can't mark it up above sticker price, they'll only sell with trade ins because that's the only way then can capitalize on the demand. Can you believe that? They will only sell it to you if you let them rip you off in a trade! Then after answering a half dozen questions, he finally told me they don't have any in stock. I was pissed and said back to him "So wouldn't this have all been easier if you'd just told me that up front?" to which he replied "That's just the way we do business sir." So I said "Then why would I want to do business with you?" He unapologetically excused himself and hung up. The nerve!

As for the new Insight, I did see pics of it. Looks exactly like a Prius. Has honda taken on Hyundai's copycat tradition? I never really liked the prius for a lot of reasons, partly the body and interior configuration but mostly the controls--three different displays at different depths, digital speedo, and I especially hated the on-screen controls for the radio and such. I wanted a car not a space ship. But maybe Honda will do a better job.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The Fit is a downgrade from the Civic. But you really want a hatchback above all else.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by spinner
The Fit is a downgrade from the Civic. But you really want a hatchback above all else.
What makes you say the fit is a downgrade? On paper it is similarly equipped, though the fit is sportier and it has all that re-configurable space. The civic has now overgrown its roots, it's a big car nowadays.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Cheaper materials. Cheaper fit and finish. Ride and comfort are reduced. Fewer convenience items. I don't know if the '09 finally has a locking gas door, but it was missing on the first generation. At least the crash safety has been greatly improved. You get according to how much you spend at Honda.

I can't speak for the first generation of the Honda Civic Hybrid, but if you want a really nice car then you should get the HCH-II; If you want a fun-to-drive car or a utility car, then get the Fit or another kind of Civic.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Diesel driver

12 Canadians bought a HCH II in Canada last month. Yes: twelve.

A _few_ more bought Fits. Why is the HCH II tanking in the CDN market?

Quick Reply: Thinking about trading HCH in for an 09 Fit

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands