slightly undersized firestone affinity tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 02:13 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default slightly undersized firestone affinity tires

My newly acquired 2006 HCH came with really crappy tires. Probalby original, at 77K miles. I got a set of NEW Firestone Affinity 195/65's for next ot nothging.

I know they are 3% undersized so my mileage calculations will be off. I can live with that until I can select and afford the right tires.

But is there any more serious unknown consequence to using undersized tires?

thanks

Old 09-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: slightly undersized firestone affinity tires

Originally Posted by hertfordnc
My newly acquired 2006 HCH came with really crappy tires. Probalby original, at 77K miles. I got a set of NEW Firestone Affinity 195/65's for next ot nothging.

I know they are 3% undersized so my mileage calculations will be off. I can live with that until I can select and afford the right tires.

But is there any more serious unknown consequence to using undersized tires?

thanks
Why do you consider these undersized? According to Honda's site as well as Tire Rack, 195/65/15 tires are the OEM size. Also according to TireRack, Firestone Affinity in 195/65/15 tire has same revs/mile as OEM. Also according to Tire Rack, Affinity is a bit pricier than the OEM Firestone tire.

Now, the one downside with Affinity is that they're not LRR - so your gas mileage will take a bit of a hit. But, at the right price, that might be a worthwhile trade-off.

Last edited by Frodo; 09-17-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

TYPO the tiers are 195/60/15

No wonder no one was responding to my question -

Anyway, they are 3% under size. My speed seems to be about 1-2% under compared to my GPS. I'm pretty happy with the performance.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:12 AM
Enthusiast

There should no adverse effects to your car by running 60 series profile tires. As long as the 'axle' pair are identical you should be good to go. If you were to place a shorter tire on the right front and taller tire on the left front that could cause the differential to heat up because that pair is spinning at different speeds. But you're not,,,, so no worries.