exhaust heat power recovery

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 06:33 AM
Enthusiast
Default exhaust heat power recovery

Some time ago I came across a site displaying information about a Civic that had been fitted with a closed circuit steam turbine generator powered by exhaust heat. The power recovered was returned to the power train via an electric motor.
Fuel efficiency was claimed to be at least 10% better than a Toyota Prius, The major advantage was claimed as being more efficient on freeway runs.
WAS THIS SITE A HOAX? HAS IT BEEN CENSORED? I have been unable to find the site again.
If this concept is viable it has to be applied to diesel trucks and locomotives as matter of strategic importance. If a prototype can get such improvements a refined system could reduce national fuel use for freight haulage by perhaps as much as 20%
Will all you web savvy folk please check it out and pass on the concept to people who can aid it's development? It could impact our balance of trade by billions.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: exhaust heat power recovery

The 2010 Prius has an Exhaust Heat Recovery system. See:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-...-system-2.html

It is used to maintain engine temperature at desired levels in cold weather so that the engine runs less often at low speeds.

JeffD