several questions for current owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 10:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default several questions for current owners

Hi All,

Pretty much decided to get a HCH II; like the blue interior, which leaves the A.Silver and Mag Pearl colors.

A few questions for current owners:
1) how does the tan interior hold up against dirt? I had a tan int VW NBtle that would get pretty dirty ( from visits to the dealer, nat) and I quickly came to dislike it. That's why, though the Civic tan interior LOOKS nice, I think I'd prefer the blue.
2) Read a good article at hybridcars.com about effects of A/C on MPG in hybrids. Can live with that because I don't use it that much anyway (grew up in IL w/o A/C)-but are hybrids effected easily by small things that might not matter as much in other cars - for example, synthetic oils? I'd never run syn in my RX-8 (lots of debate on that in that forum) but would be open to it w/ 10K change intervals. BTW, on that subject, at least a few makes now have 10K change intervals-a lot has to do with how much cleaner engines run today than even just 20 years ago. But it's hard for many to shake the 3000 mile change sticker provided by so many lube joints. Many auto publications still like to promote 2500 mile. But C&R has proven oil can last 7500-10K in modern cars.
3) Does a hi perf exhaust and freer intake help the HCH much?
4) MAGNETIC PEARL-anyone with this color - can you comment on blue tint in that color or changing color in various light situations - or is it pretty much like the Honda graphite color on other models?
TIA for any help!

Old 12-22-2005, 11:22 PM
G.H. Contributor
Arrow Re: several questions for current owners

Originally Posted by RX8Daniel
Hi All,

Pretty much decided to get a HCH II; like the blue interior, which leaves the A.Silver and Mag Pearl colors.

A few questions for current owners:
1) how does the tan interior hold up against dirt? I had a tan int VW NBtle that would get pretty dirty ( from visits to the dealer, nat) and I quickly came to dislike it. That's why, though the Civic tan interior LOOKS nice, I think I'd prefer the blue.
2) Read a good article at hybridcars.com about effects of A/C on MPG in hybrids. Can live with that because I don't use it that much anyway (grew up in IL w/o A/C)-but are hybrids effected easily by small things that might not matter as much in other cars - for example, synthetic oils? I'd never run syn in my RX-8 (lots of debate on that in that forum) but would be open to it w/ 10K change intervals. BTW, on that subject, at least a few makes now have 10K change intervals-a lot has to do with how much cleaner engines run today than even just 20 years ago. But it's hard for many to shake the 3000 mile change sticker provided by so many lube joints. Many auto publications still like to promote 2500 mile. But C&R has proven oil can last 7500-10K in modern cars.
3) Does a hi perf exhaust and freer intake help the HCH much?
4) MAGNETIC PEARL-anyone with this color - can you comment on blue tint in that color or changing color in various light situations - or is it pretty much like the Honda graphite color on other models?
TIA for any help!
RX8: (READ THESE THREADS) First Oil Change ; Oil Life ; Paint & Fabric Protection ; HCH Maintenance ; Which color is most popular? ; magetic pearl ; AUTO START ; 06 HCH Qs ; Yet another autostop question ; Results from High Speed FAS in the 06 HCH ; Anyone know the 2006 HCH Tax Credit? ; EV (electric-only) mode finally spotted in 06 HCH! ; Interior color ; New HCH bests Prius in Honda road tests ; 06HCH Picture Day-Lets get all colors represented! ; OWN or BUYING a 2006 HCH: (You-Must-Read-This) 12/22/2005 ;

If you (Click) on the above (Threads) you will have I think all the information you want on the HCH ll.

If not Post again and we will get you some more information on the HCH ll.

HTH

Terry

Old 12-23-2005, 05:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: several questions for current owners

Hi Daniel,

I only have the 2005 HCH, but some of your questions might apply, so I'll offer my thoughts.

1) The tan interior holds up fine in my opinion. I play a lot of soccer, and end up dirty and sometimes muddy, and the interior has taken it all in stride.

2) My experience is that, on the highway, using the A/C is not that huge a deal; but in short city driving, it can be a big factor. And regarding whether the hybrid is more effected than other more powerful cars, I would have to say yes, just based on common sense, but I don't know for sure.

3) There is a thread called something like "New exhaust 2 1/4" by a guy labeled "Duc" that you might want to read. He seems to have have had great performance improvements; others might be skeptical. I have no idea which is correct, but I admit to being quite intrigued by the idea.

Hope that helps!

Old 12-23-2005, 05:55 AM
Enthusiast

It does help. I haven't found much on how the tan interior is holding up on the HCH IIs. But the pics posted of the Mag Pearl by it's owner were quite helpful, as was the thread with several of the colors. I've seen and driven a white one. I'm leaning now to the silver once again, although the Magnetic Pearl is interesting in how it changes with light. I like the visibility of silver and always though it was one of the best colors for the Miata, although that silver was darker on the earlier years. The more recent silver is similar to the HCH II alabaster silver.

Old 12-23-2005, 07:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RX8Daniel
TIA for any help!
I would describe Magnetic Pearl as a dark blue/grey. I have not seen big discrepancies with different lights. It either looks darker or lighter.

"other people" refer to it more as a dark grey when I ask them what color it is but I see a dark blue/grey in my eyes.

I think its a "classy" color and a little different. Not much selection with the Hybrid colors in Canada but this one IMHO is a fresh look.

It does not resemble previous graphite colors IMO (the SI models) from searches I did before viewing my car.

Cheers!

Old 12-23-2005, 08:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I bought an 04 with gray interior.
The next day my friend bought the same car with the ivory interior.
Today mine look like new, her's looks like crap.

Look at any old car with wear and tear and stains.
The wear and tear itself looks more gray than ivory.

If your concern is interior appearance over time get the gray.

(Just one opinion, you guys with ivory interior don't shoot me.)

Last edited by kenny; 12-23-2005 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My 1999 Accord has the ivory/tan interior and it has held up very well, except for a few isolated areas. When I bought it new, I paid for the 'fabric protection' so I'm not sure if that's a factor.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

1) Tan is fine. Had mine since 2002. No issues.
2) I change oil every 10K with Mobil 1 0W20. I also use a extended life Mobil 1 M110 oil filter.
3) Maybe, but the car was tuned for great FE to begin with, I doubt playing with intake or exhaust will improve it by much... and at what cost.
4) ...

Old 12-23-2005, 11:53 AM
Enthusiast

Hi All,

Thought I could give some info regarding some of your questions since I have a 2006 Magnetic Pearl w/navi.

The magnetic pearl is a mixture between grey and grey/blue. What I mean by this is that when you look at the car in the day it looks grey blue but, at night it looks dark grey. This color is also only available on the HCH which makes this color even more desirable. Now the only interior for this color is what is considered blue. Now you have to realize that this car has both tan and blue interior. For instance, the seats are blue along with the armrest, flooring, upper doors, and upper dashboard. The bottom portion of the doors are tan along with the dashboard.

Now about the A/C with MPG. Now with my own experiences I have not seen a dramatic drop in MPG with the A/C on. I only have 950 on it but so far I have seen a pretty consistent MPG at around 50. I would say what makes the MPG change dramatically is your driving habits. How fast you step on the gas and brake. I would not worry about running the A/C, I would just concentrate on working to get the best MPG.

Hope this info helps you.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Originally Posted by kenny
I bought a0 04 with gray interior.
The next day my friend bought the came car with the ivory interior.

Today mine look like new, her's looks like crap.
Look at any old car with wear and tear and stains.
The wear and tear itself looks more gray than ivory.

If your concern is interior appearance over time get the gray.

(Just one opinion, you guys with ivory interior don't shoot me.)
Of course I don't eat chilli burgers with grape soda in the car, or let the dogs jump in after a fresh romp through a red mud field, but the ivory interior in our 03 HCH looks pretty much the same as a new one. This is mostly because I clear up any confusion early on, that my car is neither a McDonald's nor an Estee Lauder counter, and certainly not the men's smoking lounge.

Quick Reply: several questions for current owners

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands