Scangauge II...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Scangauge II...

Folks,

I wanted to trade notes with anyone else that has a HCH (2006 / 2007) with a Scangauge II installed.

My notes:

1) Some data seems inaccurate, but this may be because I had the refresh rate on high instead of normal.
2) Why doesn't it include a normal trip A/B/C system that can be reset at intervals that you choose.
3) Where did you install it (I went on the left side dash above the vent).
4) Has anyone used the xgauge feature to program additional codes. I have the service manual and started looking into this last night (then fell asleep).

Please share experiences.

Dobe.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:03 PM
hypermiler wannabe
Default Re: Scangauge II...

I ordered a Scan Gauge (Mk1) months ago, it was backordered, and I forgot all about it... last week a box arrives w/ the new Mk2! I was fiddling w/ my 03 Civic Si and it works well. Yes, the sampling seems a bit delayed (by 1/2sec or so) but does give other useful info like water temp. I just returned from a weekend roadtrip in our 03 Odyssey using the SG2. We used the "trip" settings and found the MPG to be rather optimistic. It read "28MPG" when the gas-station math showed 24.

My initial reaction is more novelty than tool, but the Code reader seems to work well (no codes yet!) Still, a very cool device, looking to hook into the HCH-II later this week. Will give you info after I try it out.

My 2¢

Old 10-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Just to put my 2 cents in, I too have a ScanGuage II, but I haven't yet used it on the HCH-II and doubt that I will until I want to read codes. The HCH-II's displays are more to my everyday liking anyways.

Where is the OBD-II port? I'm thinking it's somewhere where it might get in the way, deterring one from having it plugged in all the time.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:46 AM
hypermiler wannabe

Just drove the 'school bus' run (20mile round trip) w/ the SG2 and here's my quick report.

The ODBC port is tucked to the left of the center console just below and to the right of the steering column (kinda hard to find, but easy to leave connected while driving) I placed it on the shelf behind the gear shift.

The code reader seems to work (no codes), the Gauges appear to work accurately(RPM, temp, etc), but the trip/MPG display seems off quite a bit. The sampling rate is immediate (the right-now reading is...) so I saw between 24 and 2347 on the MPG display. Of note, when coasting in my 03 Si, the MPG would spike to 9999 (max) on the display. While driving the hybrid, the MPG would read between 55 and 58 and the instrument panel gauge read 52.3 the whole time.

I'm partial to the instruments as they show a moving average over a period time, not a dynamic "right now" reading. I'm thinking I'll leave it in my Si till I have codes to read.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

In regards to the trip/MPG data being off, is this happening despite using the Scanguage manual's instructions to calibrate the tank fillups and speed? Also, if you track your fuel economy manually (gas bar receipts), is the Scanguage matching your own results instead of the HCH's computer? Just because I think it's common for the instrument display in the HCH to be a little off of true mileage. For instance, my HCH-II's instruments show a fuel economy that is 4% poorer than reality, and the speedometer closely matches GPS-measured speed.

For those who don't have Scanguage, here's a little insight into the way the Scanguage measures trips: Unlike the HCH trip meters, which are manually reset by the driver, the Scanguage includes many other factors, such as time driven today, time remaining or distance remaining before tank empty, etc. You can reset some of the meters, but without your intervention it automatically resets certain ones. For example, if your car is turned off for several hours it may assume that you have retired for the day and that a new day has begun the next time it is fired up. There is a great wealth of statistical information that can be used in the Scanguage, and now that I'm reminded of it, I'll give it another go to see how it fits in my day-to-day driving, despite what I said earlier.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:43 AM
hypermiler wannabe

Originally Posted by spinner
In regards to the trip/MPG data being off, is this happening despite using the Scanguage manual's instructions to calibrate the tank fillups and speed?
Valid point. No, I didn't recalibrate--it was setup for our last trip in the Odyssey, and I did not calibrate for the Civic.

Honestly, I find the SG2 most useful in my modified Si. Having the extra info (coolant & air temps, throttle & ignition) w/o adding a row of gauges up the A-pillar is the better choice for me; I plan to install it permanently in the Si this weekend.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have one permanently installed above the rear vue mirror in my 2003 Odyssey have not got the urge to put one in the Hybrid.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:14 PM
Enthusiast
Angry Re: Scangauge II...

Back to the topic...

I've attempted to hook two different OBD II scanners onto my HCH2 and they both read "Error1". The error stood for communication error. What gives? Has anyone had success with OBD II scanners with the HCH2 before I report my problem to Honda?

Old 10-29-2007, 08:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

friends scanguage II worked fine with my HCH II. Didnt display any information though about the ima system...id like info on battery voltage, temp, amperage, etc. Scanguage only focuses one the ICE.