Roll Back on inclines

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 02:12 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Roll Back on inclines

New member who owns a Honda Civic Hybrid 2006, my concern is the roll back issue that other members have had. Is there a fix to this problem In review of the thread that addressed this issue no clearly stated that the problem was fixed.
thanks

Old 06-16-2006, 05:17 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Roll Back on inclines

I live in the mountains. I can't go anywhere without encountering hills, and it seems everyone has a stopsign somewhere.

The rollback has not been a problem for me or for my wife. If you have to stop on an incline, and the autostop activates, you can use your left foot for the brake, and as soon as you touch the accelerator pedal, the engine starts up, and you can release the brake.

It is seldom that we felt the need to do even this, only when another car pulls up tight against our rear bumper.

Old 06-16-2006, 05:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

If you come to a complete stop on an incline and AS engages, the car should not roll back when you take your foot off the brake. However, I believe there is a time limit. One time I took my foot off the brake to see if the hold would stick and it only lasted about 1-2 seconds - just long enough to get your foot on the gas.

I have noticed, on a very slight grade, that it doesn't seem to stick and tends to roll a little bit when I take my foot off the brake. My suspicision was that the hold was dependent on a steep enough grade, but I don't have enough samples to justify this theory.

If your car is not holding, even on a steep grade, I would ask the dealer to look at it the next time you are in for service.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

I use my handbrake often; especially after I slammed the front end frame of my car into a cement parking slab because of the roll forward when the car was in reverse. There are some steep streets in echo park/silverlake (Los Angeles) where a friend lives, and I'm used to using the handbrake on my previous manual anyway.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes it can roll back.. but its not as bad as it sounds. Nor does it happen in every circumstance.

Occasionally when you come to a stop and autostop engages.. If you 'lightly/slowly' take your foot off the brake, the vehicle may begin to roll back. If you quickly take your foot off the brake and apply light pressure to the accel pedal. You will not roll back. The drive engages and you'll move ahead just fine.

While it is a bit bothersome.. i've grown use to it. Its similar to the braking quirk. Where as you decelerate and come to a stop. Near the tail end of the stop.. i.e. ~10mph or so and slower.. your regenerative braking will suddenly cease and it feels like the car's breaks have let loose somewhat and wants to jump forward. In reality the regen braking switched to full ABS braking. The feel changes, and there is a tiny fraction of a second where the full braking system needs to catch-up and make up for what the regen braking was doing previously.

The best protection for this braking change is to brake slowly and carefully and maintain a good safe distance between you and the person in front. Good practice in any car, not only the HCH2. It also ensures you get maximum regen energy from your brakes, and reduces wear and tear on your pads.

I hope I worded that well.

-G