Question about battery pack depletion on steep inclines.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Question about battery pack depletion on steep inclines.

I have a 2005 HCH MT with 73000 miles on it. There are at least two hills that I have to go up daily from a stop at the bottom, one with a 26% incline over .3 mile & the other at 35% incline over .1 mile and if I want to keep moving forward on the first I have to be using no more than 3 gear and deplete over 50% of the pack and on the second wind up going up in 2nd gear and deplete 75% of the pack. I try my best to feather back to stop using the assist but if I want to keep moving forward and not block traffic the assist is being used heavily.

I recently had the O2 sensors replaced after a check engine light and that did help some on mpg and the hills. The depletion use to be worse, like nearly 100% on the steepest grade. The pack does recharge back at a fairly decent pace but I am worried about it. It just seems like I am losing too much power both from the ICE and battery pack while traversing these hills.

I realize its only a 1.3 liter engine but I use to have a 1.1 liter engine that made it up these hills easier, but of course I wasn't monitoring a IMA on the way up. Can any of you mechanical and/or Honda knowledgeable people tell me if this is normal or should I be going after my dealership for help before my 100k extended warranty gets any older? Or will they just look at me like I am crazy.

Last edited by HemiSync; 04-30-2008 at 03:02 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:13 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Question about battery pack depletion on steep inclines.

I have an 05 HAH so cant totally say it sounds normal to me or not, however when I first got mine, I was having spells of 'Paralysis through Analysis' by reading a whole lot into the IMA panel and what it's doing.

Now, I watch the IMA status and know it will handle every situation perfectly and dont worry one bit, like I used to.

Last week I was on a road trip which took me through Georgia, Tennessee and Kentucky. Definitely more hilly than flat Florida and the battery level went down each time the assist was used but as you mentioned it recovers at a good clip.

This is only my opinion, I stay AWAY from the dealers if at all possible.