Recall 2003-05 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Recall 2003-05 HCH

Originally Posted by billyt1963
As anyone gone through a full tank of gas yet after the update? Is the MPG gauge any more accurate? I just had the update done last Saturday and I filled up shortly after that, so I only have 100 miles on this tank of gas and I was wondering to accuracy.

Billy
Billy- I think a few people have thought you meant was the FE better post-update...I will tell you (assuming this is what you intended) that my HCH was notoriously unreliable, often times mis-gauging the FE by 3 or 4 MPG before the patch. The tank I just finished, which was done after the recall, had just risen to 48.0 as I pulled into the gas station and was calculated at 47.6 - basically the most accurate measure I've ever had. My MPG was pretty much right on target for what I always get from a decent tank (i.e. no moving across town with heavy loads or blasting AC), but for once my car actually got it right before I pulled out the calculator and receipts. Maybe the software really is better.

Old 08-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. That is what I was talking about. I was hoping it was more accurate in the sense you are talking about, especially since I am at 150 miles and at 54.1 MPG. If it is accurate this is going to be a good tank.

Billy

Old 08-04-2005, 06:01 PM

Now I'm tempted to make it a priority. It would be nice to have an accurate gauge. Did they want to see the paper honda sent? Or did they already know about the recal?

Old 08-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

My dealer already knew about the recall.

Billy

Old 08-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

The recall notice is not needed. If you purchased the car at a particular dealership or had your car serviced there before, you should be in their computer. I just called my local Honda dealer and made an appointment for the update. I brought the notice with me but the customer service rep didn't even look at it. I brought the notice back home and filed it along with the work order. They'll ask for the year and VIN # if your not in their system and you should be good to go.

My car was ready in 45 minutes even though the notice stated a half day.

Good luck

Old 08-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Enthusiast

I didn't get the mailer yet, but I want to thank everyone for their input. It sounds like I should be getting better gas mileage soon, and I thought I was doing great now!

Old 08-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast
Default My catalytic converter is dead!

Well, I had wondered out loud in this thread earlier about this recall... With over 60,000 miles and many undiagnosed problems (check engine light on repeatedly, some strange performance issues, etc)... I wondered if the damage alluded to in the recall notice could be in some way related. This recall was to "prevent damage" to some components and my car has been running for many miles without the upgrade... I wonder what that means.

About a month ago, the dealer reset my MIL (for the 5th time), performed the recall service, and gave my car a clean bill of health. 2 weeks after that, my MIL came on (again).

It's at the dealer today and they just called to report 3 issues:

1) The catalytic converter is damaged and needs to be replaced (at their cost)

2) The conventional battery needs to be replaced (at my cost - $130 p&l)

3) Another update needs to be done to the computer system. (No change/no additional info given).

The battery doesn't concern me... But if #1 is true, it's probable that this damage occurred as a result of the same reason the recall was issued. BEWARE!

#3 seems very unlikely to me.. but what do I know? This will be the 3rd time they have "updated" the computer on this car. Is Bill Gates connected to this somehow? Microsoft Windows has software updates issued less often than my car! (Okay, slight exaggeration)!

Thought you'd all be interested.

Old 08-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

$130 is crazy for a little battery. You can get an Optima for that kind of cash. I'd tell em to keep their battery if it isn't too late.

Old 08-10-2005, 03:41 PM
the_13th_saint
Default Re: My catalytic converter is dead!

Originally Posted by zhybrid
...2) The conventional battery needs to be replaced (at my cost - $130 p&l)...
$130 to replace the battery?! that sounds a bit expensive. How long was the battery supposed to last and what's the warranty on it? have you done anything to your car other than the 60,000 miles that would cause the battery to fail?

Old 08-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: My catalytic converter is dead!

Originally Posted by the_13th_saint
$130 to replace the battery?! that sounds a bit expensive. How long was the battery supposed to last and what's the warranty on it? have you done anything to your car other than the 60,000 miles that would cause the battery to fail?
Car is just about 3 years old with about 65,000 miles now. I was surprised about the battery, as well. It's the original Honda battery. I'm sure it's not under warranty.

Quick Reply: Recall 2003-05 HCH

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands