Purchasing Used Civic Hybrid *today* - 2005 vs 2006??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Purchasing Used Civic Hybrid *today* - 2005 vs 2006??

Sorry, I really don't have an answer for that. Basically I was asking if you people who have experience with Hybrid vehicles would or would not purchase this vehicle. I asked a couple of different places if it is possible to test the life of the battery and was told it wasn't possible.
I really like this car but I am a little leary of getting stuck with a costly repair after purchasing the car.
I was planning on, before making a final decision (and with the current owners consent of course), taking the car to a shop with a Mechanic who has training on Hybrids to have it looked over.

Thanks

Old 02-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by xarmyguy78
Sorry, I really don't have an answer for that.
Sorry, I wasn't really expecting you to answer. It was more of a thought provoking question. That and I'd really like to know the answer if someone knew...

Originally Posted by xarmyguy78
Basically I was asking if you people who have experience with Hybrid vehicles would or would not purchase this vehicle. I asked a couple of different places if it is possible to test the life of the battery and was told it wasn't possible.
I really like this car but I am a little leary of getting stuck with a costly repair after purchasing the car.
I was planning on, before making a final decision (and with the current owners consent of course), taking the car to a shop with a Mechanic who has training on Hybrids to have it looked over.

Thanks
I'd be more afraid of a high mileage CVT than the battery...

Had you said the car was a MT I'd have said "Go for it!"

Old 02-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

xarmyguy78; I would leave it alone! Buy a none hybrid Civic. It is there for some reason. The early HCH had issue's with CTV and in some cases with the Pack and also the Cat system that can be very expensive as well to replace. You may get 100K of good service, but I don't think you will! Only my opinions,H

Old 02-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
xarmyguy78; I would leave it alone! Buy a none hybrid Civic. It is there for some reason. The early HCH had issue's with CTV and in some cases with the Pack and also the Cat system that can be very expensive as well to replace. You may get 100K of good service, but I don't think you will! Only my opinions,H
Thanks for your input, I will take that into consideration when making my next vehicle purchase.
I have wanted to buy a hybrid for quite some time now. In fact, it was my plan 3 years ago when I bought the car I am currently driving that after 2 years of owning it, that I would trade it in on a new Prius, sadly with the effects of the economy on my budget that is no longer an option, so I am hoping to find a used hybrid in my current budget, but with the high resale and current market on them it is going to be difficult.
Thanks again

Old 02-14-2009, 09:14 AM

Yes a Prius would be nice! Have you thought about a Honda Insight. If you can get by with a two seater they get great FE and I believe a fun car? H

Old 02-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
Yes a Prius would be nice! Have you thought about a Honda Insight. If you can get by with a two seater they get great FE and I believe a fun car? H
Yep, I looked at them a few years ago, the first time they brought it out and wasn't too interested in it, I need (well don't need, but for practicality purposes, I want) a 5 passenger vehicle.
My number one interest is Toyota Prius, I just like the look and features, therefore, slightly preferring the Toyota over Honda

Old 02-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: Purchasing Used Civic Hybrid *today* - 2005 vs 2006??

I actually just ofund an article that is kind of something I was hoping to find a few days ago and thought I would share it with you all.
The article is talking about repair costs for Hybrids vs non hybrid vehicles (although this is specifically referring to Toyota prius than Hybrids in general)

The majority of these repairs were for crash damage and the like, not for mechanical failures. In fact, regular hybrid maintenance occurs less often and is therefore less costly than for comparable conventional vehicles. Toyota has said that not a single Prius battery pack has needed replacement due to malfunction or simply losing capacity. Since the replacement packs cost thousands of dollars, that’s critical. The company said the only packs that had to be replaced were in cars damaged in collisions, and it has always claimed that the packs last the life of the car with little degradation.
Last fall, Toyota cut prices of replacement packs for the first-generation (2001-2003) Prius to $2,299; a current Prius pack will set you back $2,588.

here is the link for the whole article http://www.hybridcars.com/service/st...air-25548.html
I apologize if my posts are off topic of this thread

Old 02-14-2009, 12:11 PM

Yes I believe the most reliable cars on the road are the Toyota Prius and the Gen 2 HCH. I think studies have indicated this as well.I have a 2006 HCH2 and have had no issues with it since I purchased new in Dec. 2006. Probably the most reliable car I have ever had! Touch wood. H