Advice on purchasing used FEH. Take to Ford?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 11:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Advice on purchasing used FEH. Take to Ford?

Quick question... Thinking of buying a 2008 FEH from a friend of mine. I was wanted to bring it to a mechanic to check everything out. I have never gone to a ford dealership for anything... But would it make sense to go to them for a complete vehicle inspection? Do you think they would do a better job than a pep boys or random other garage?

Would also love to know what you think I should expect to pay for such an inspection. Thanks!

Old 02-03-2014, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Advice on purchasing used FEH. Take to Ford?

Take it to the dealer and ask them about the charge BEFORE they start. Expect to pay $150 to $250 for the inspection depending upon how deep they get into checking out the hybrid system.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Definitely the dealer. Very few independent mechanics have the expertise to check the things that would be of the most interest/concern.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Enthusiast

Called Ford... They do a "visual only" inspection for 100 bucks... where they basically just look for leaks... etc. Or for 220 bucks they do a "more detailed look, where they hook your car up to a machine." I think that means they just pull codes. Seems like a lot of money for not very much assurance. Would love to hear more thoughts on this.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Feral Engineer

I'd take it to a good independent shop. All the problems that I've had on my 07 FEH have been with parts common to all Escapes, except the blend door. ($20 to fix myself, hundreds at a dealer.)

Old 02-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Can your friend provide maintenance records or issues that were experienced? One can check the vehicle service record at the dealership by running the VIN number thru a Ford owners website. Better yet, do you as a potential owner know what issues a first generation (05-08) FEH has? If not, get reading.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Joe,

The dealer will take a look at the battery state of charge, the individual banks within the battery, the capacity of the cells, pending codes, short term and long term fuel trims, cat efficiency and a LOT of other factors when doing an inspection.

An independent tech can do the same IF they are familiar with hybrid vehicles. There are also a few dumba$$es like myself that can do them for ourselves because our hybrids are a "hobby" to us.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Where do you live?

There are no guarantees with any method. However my #1 choice would be to have another long-time owner take it for a test drive and see if it runs, sounds, looks, smells, and behaves the same. That is more valuable than any dealer who sees one for one hour a month.

John

Old 02-05-2014, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

I live near Chattanooga, TN but even an owner familiar with hybrids can't "see" into the battery pack and check cell voltage and other items that a good diagnostic scanner can find. Any competent tech can check for everything else that needs to be looked at, CV joints, ball joints, tie rod ends, steering rack, struts, wheel bearings, end links, oil/coolant/tranny fluid leaks, exhaust system, brakes, belts, hoses, filters and most everything except the hybrid system.

If your tech has a good scanner (and a LOT of independents do) they can take a look at the hybrid systems and make sure that everything looks balanced across the battery pack.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:57 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I was "talking" to the original poster, who understandably has concerns about the hybrid specific components. Something a nearly 10 year owner and daily driver like myself could inspect and diagnose with at most the help of a $150 scan gauge.

We've all heard the horror stories about lack of training and competence at dealers with regard to the FEH. Not all dealers are totally incompetent but there are definate aspects you can only tell if they are "normal" via experience.

Sure. Have all the traditional items checked out by any mechanic.
But those aren't the hard to find (detect) and expensive defects or quirks.

Quick Reply: Advice on purchasing used FEH. Take to Ford?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands