Advice on purchasing used FEH. Take to Ford?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Advice on purchasing used FEH. Take to Ford?

GPSman,

I agree that a lot of dealerships are not familiar with hybrids, having 6 Fords in the family, they are sometimes not familiar with the NON hybrids either.... I would rather trust a good, independent tech over a dealer tech most of the time unless I knew that they are good at the job required.

I will also agree that a long term driver could help but that is often a hard thing to find in your local area.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:47 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the advice. I DO like the idea of having a long time owner take a ride in it. I have found that the 2 mechanics I have taken it to (non ford) really know very little about it. One mechanic scowled as I drove up... and when I got out he said "Ford does not make good hybrids." So, I asked him "Oh, do you have see a lot of problems with these cars?" His response "Well, I have never seen one in my shop before, but the only hybrids that are worth anything are foreign."

As my confidence in him was fading... he proceeded to take a look at the car. After looking underneath he said "Well, this is the first ford I have seen without an oil leak." At this point, it was clear to me he does not like american made cars.

He did mention that I needed new struts in the front and shocks in the back. Everything else checked out fine... although he did not "hook up" the battery to do any voltage tests. I have driven the thing around for a week, and it seems that the battery is performing exactly like the stories I have read about from many different drivers.

I purchased the car for 12,000. I am ecstatic about the purchase and I want to send a big thank you out to anyone in this community who has helped my decision and for navigating me through the unknown.

Averaging around 30mpg right now... some days 35... but it does not seem to drop below the 29.5 mark.

Changed the battery filter (looks like it had not been done before.) Next up, I will install a cabin air filter.

Joe

Old 02-08-2014, 04:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Averaging around 30mpg right now... some days 35... but it does not seem to drop below the 29.5 mark.

That means you live in a warm(er) part of the country. Some of us will have to wait awhile to see the mpg numbers you stated. As for the hybrid battery filter, it is possible to purchase a K+N filter that can be cleaned and used over and over again. See the sticky thread at top of this forum for details.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk24

That means you live in a warm(er) part of the country. Some of us will have to wait awhile to see the mpg numbers you stated. As for the hybrid battery filter, it is possible to purchase a K+N filter that can be cleaned and used over and over again. See the sticky thread at top of this forum for details.
I use a modified K&N for my battery filter. I'm surprised K&N hasn't expanded into reusable cabin air filters. In fact, I just wrote them with that suggestion.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Our provincial branch of the Automobile Association does inspections such as if you're checking out a used car for purchase. They do not do hybrids. You'd think they could at least do the non-hybrid features, but, nope.