PCMCIA memory card reader possibilities

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: PCMCIA memory card reader possibilities

Originally Posted by 07CivicGuy
Utah: could you please post the model of pcmcia card and 4 GB CF card you are using ? Are they both SanDisk ? Thanks !
sorry it took so long to get back to you, I'm not on these boards that often any more. Yes, I use a SanDisk 4 gig compact flash card and a SanDisk Compact Flash only PMCIA card. When I bought the 4 gig card I didn't realize that the car actually tops out at 999 items, a design flaw in my opinion. Does anyone know a work around for this? I don't have an iPod but I'm about to go buy one just so I can juggle through all of my albums through the AUX. 999 items isn't nearly enough...

Old 01-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

How could 999 not be enough?!!! If the average song is 3':30", then you've got 2.4 DAYS of music... non-stop! I'm going to sound VERY old here, but... there wasn't enough storage space in my first (1976) Honda Civic to haul 2.4 days worth of music (on 8-tracks tapes!)

My puny 256mb card (the only SD card I can get to work in the car) isn't really enough for me, but the CD I recorded does the job well enough. That's why I haven't messed with getting the CF card & reader.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Enthusiast

Jeff (Anahymbrid) The navigation system freezing and resetting kept happening to me too. I found out through reading various forums and using trial and error that the symtoms you previously described about can be worked around. The fix was your songs can't be ripped at anything over 192 and if it doesn't like the mp3 ID tag it will cause this too. It only takes one song out of all of them to cause this too. I was finaly able to upload 844 songs onto a Sandisk 4 GB compactflash card and Sandisk compactflash adapter. Through trial and error I just kept adding songs till it worked, if it messed up I backtracked and removed the songs till I got it right. It was a serious pain and it took me most of a afternoon but it was well worth it. I hope this helps you out.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07CivicGuy
I found out through reading various forums and using trial and error that the symtoms you previously described about can be worked around.
Wow! Thanks for the info... I'll give it a try and let you know. I have my doubts, though... as I recall testing each of my five SD cards by just installing ONE short MP3... and then loading it to see if it recognized the card. I recall getting two cards to read it (one was 128mb and the other the 256 I have in there now). I do have a 1GB I'd like to use, but the 512 would do nicely, too!

Old 01-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Utah
When I bought the 4 gig card I didn't realize that the car actually tops out at 999 items, a design flaw in my opinion. Does anyone know a work around for this?
I'm pleased to see someone post about the limit of song tracks as I was just about to add that to the thread - the car has a limit of 999 songs (ala the Y2K bug mind you). You can have more songs on your card but the car won't read past the first 999 tracks. I have these in WMA format and it fills the 1GB card almost perfectly so anything larger than 1GB for WMA is a waste for the car but will work for a computer. If you have MP3 files then maybe a 2GB card is the recommended max.

I do not know a workaround yet other than my solution which was to purchase two cards so this gives me 1,998 songs over two cards and yes, Anahymbrid, there ARE times when I wish I had my other card of 999 songs because the one in there is no longer useful. I might have 200 songs in the category "Classic Rock" and another 200 in "Oldies" and 200 in "Folk" and 300 in "Top 40" but the other card might have 200 in "Classical" which is what the Mrs. likes to have playing when she wants to take a nap or another couple of dozen "Children" songs for keeping the little ones from nagging on longer trips.

It is just so much easier to drag-and-drop from my computer to a card instead of thinking about which 50 songs from each Genre that I am going to choose for the car. I also have them sorted sometimes one way vs. another but when I play by Artist or Album or Folder then it does know that all of the Billy Joel songs are from his album or that the Elvis songs are from his Artist name. Sometimes I put 300 songs from all the Classic Rock folders into one giant folder (fun for the Random play) and other times I keep them organized so I can listen to all of one artist regardless of the album name because that artist's songs are all in one folder.

Think outside the box, Jeff. =) Also remember that I average 1,000 miles/week in the car so I go through a lot of songs (your math would have me changing cards twice a week).

Old 01-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Enthusiast

I believe that it will recognize any file system that uses the common driver. As for PCMCIA USB port, I believe you need to have the USB media driver, such as for the cell phone, etc (like when you plug in to your computer you might need to install the driver as well)

Old 03-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast

Our civic manual says not to use a 6-1 reader. If you would like to stay with SD cards. This one works SanDisk MMC/SecureDigital (SD) PCMCIA (PC Card) Adapter (SDDR-65-07)and can be purchased here.
http://www.flash-memory-store.com/se...-adapters.html

Old 04-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast

adfadfa

Last edited by reza; 04-03-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

@Flash: I currently have a cd of about 10 songs in my civic. I have been listening to these 10 songs for over a year now... Good nuff for me...;p

Old 04-05-2007, 03:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nark
@Flash: I currently have a cd of about 10 songs in my civic. I have been listening to these 10 songs for over a year now... Good nuff for me...;p
Bee Gees?

Quick Reply: PCMCIA memory card reader possibilities

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands