Panic button

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Vegetarian
Exclamation Panic button

I keep my keys on a carabiner and hang them from a belt loop on my pants. I just hit my panic button on accident for the second time, just by how I was sitting. Anyone else have something like this happen? It seems like the buttons shouldn't be so easy to accidentally hit... it makes me wonder if I could accidentally unlock my car... I wouldn't know if I did, I know I've hit the panic button because the horn is honking, but if I unlocked my car on accident, I couldn't hear that.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Panic button

Originally Posted by IMAhybrid
it makes me wonder if I could accidentally unlock my car... I wouldn't know if I did, I know I've hit the panic button because the horn is honking, but if I unlocked my car on accident, I couldn't hear that.
Don't worry TOO much. The car actually re-locks itself after about 2 minutes if no one has opened a door since being unlocked. This a cool feature, if a tiny bit annoying if you unlock the car and don't get to it right away, or put your hand on the door just as it locks itself again, which I have done many a time...

Old 03-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have done the same thing. When I bought the car the dealer gave me a key ring that has a "bob" on it. I usually cover the key bob with it. Even if you accidently unlock the car it will lock itself back after approximately 1 minute.

Billy

Old 03-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Vegetarian

Oh yeah, duh! I completely forgot about that feature.

What about if you forget to lock your car after you been driving, will it lock it self then or stay unlocked?

Old 03-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Because I keep my keys in my pocket, with both fobs attached to a key ring, almost once a week I hear my alarm go off because I forgot to take them out before I lay around in my pants.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:02 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

Try having TWO fobs PLUS the HCH key. Our Sub is notorious for having the panic button pressed since it is larger and not recessed like the Hondas, but I've set off the Ody a few times... Haven't set off the Civic...Yet. Wish my Ody had the buttons on the key like the Civic. Makes for a big bundle of keys just for the cars.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IMAhybrid
Oh yeah, duh! I completely forgot about that feature.

What about if you forget to lock your car after you been driving, will it lock it self then or stay unlocked?
If you walk away from your car after driving and don't lock it, it will not lock itself. You must lock it to set the lock feature.

If you're talk about auto locking while your driving, the Civic now comes with that feature (finally!). It can be set to lock when taken out of Park or when the vehicle reaches 9 mph.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:37 PM

I leave the remote at home and take care of locking and unlocking the car myself (as much as it will let me that is).

Old 03-07-2006, 02:50 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This is a problem that I have with my Accord (non-hybrid) too. Twice in the last week I have exited my apartment, keys in hand, to find my headlights flashing and horn blaring. After I looked at my key ring yesterday I found that the keys adjacent to the fob are shaped in such a way that the edges line up perfectly with the panic button if twisted just a bit. I'm hoping that it won't be a problem now that I have re-arranged it.

Last edited by brick; 03-07-2006 at 03:06 AM. Reason: grammatical goodness
Old 03-07-2006, 03:58 AM

I ended up putting in a drop of crazy glue to connect the button to the casing to keep it from being pressed. If I want to undo it in the future, just scrape it off.