Oil Life

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 07:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil Life

For the first 30K miles I changed the oil and filter every 5K miles. I used Honda 0W20 and Honda Oil Filter. At the 30K mark I switched to Mobil 1 0W20 and Mobile 1 Oil Filters M110. I now change the oil and filter every 10K miles. No problems. As for oil consumption, I don't know how this car does it but the levels remain the same throughout the 10K miles.

Old 12-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

How many kilometers/miles do you have on your car now Livvie?

Old 12-26-2005, 09:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you change it more often than every 10K miles and you are not driving in one of the severe conditions listed in the manual I think it's probably not necessary....

If it makes you feel better then go ahead, but my HCH does just fine changing it every 10K (I do not meet the severe conditions listed in the manual)

Originally Posted by Adam_HybridCivic
I know there is a lot of talk about the oile life for the new '06 HCH. My dealer told me not to change the oil until 10,000 or until the maintance minder says to. I know that the manual says not to change the oil earily for the for change because it is formulated to create a wear pattern for the engine. However, because this is hard for me to get over because I am use to changing my oil after the first 1000 miles or so to remove any small scraps of matter or particulate mattter in the oil as the engine breaks in. Also, I am a strong believer of changing the oil every 3,000 to 4,000 miles at the max. I don't know If I feel right changing it after even 6,000 miles. I know that is what Honda says to do and they are the ones warranting my car, but I am leary. I would just like to get an idea from some of the members with higher miles 2,000 or more miles on their HCH II to let me and anyone else out there know what percentage their oil life is at and the mileage of their vehicle to help give me a better idea of when I wanna change mine. I know that the oil life rating takes in other fatcors other that mileage like driving style, engine load, etc. This is not meant to trade different ideas when the oil change should take place but just give out a little data.

Old 12-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cb450sc
How many kilometers/miles do you have on your car now Livvie?
70K miles.

Old 12-27-2005, 04:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I just want to thank everyone for there great input in helping my make the decision of when to change my oil. Either way, I think that at LEAST after the first oil change, changing sooner doesn't hurt but may not be that necessary. In the long run changing the oil too often may just be a waste of precious (crude) oil.

Old 12-28-2005, 07:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

One of the benefits of a Honda is the relatively low maintenance... being able to go 10K miles between service is a good thing.

Originally Posted by Adam_HybridCivic
I just want to thank everyone for there great input in helping my make the decision of when to change my oil. Either way, I think that at LEAST after the first oil change, changing sooner doesn't hurt but may not be that necessary. In the long run changing the oil too often may just be a waste of precious (crude) oil.

Old 04-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Great info. Thanks for sharing.

I live in Phx, AZ and on my 2004 HCH, Honda recommended every 5,000 miles, I am curious what the minder will tell me.

If you do it sooner than the minder tells you does the dealer or you reset the minder or do you just ignore it? The manual said (yes I read it) that if you do not reset it that it messes it up. Any thoughts there?

Thanks,
Jessica

Old 04-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

I changed my oil too early the first time, and then found some dino oil with high moly content after people here let me know of my folly, and was too lazy to put it in afterwards.

I don't remember the brand of oil, but it was one of those formulations for old engines, plugs holes and stuff, and they touted the moly for some reason too. I just yahooed auto oil and molybdenum and ran into it.

Y'all might as well know that at 2k miles, that oil came out brand spankin new. Wasn't even slightly discolored, and no metal flakes either (silvery mist is what I expected). I should have just put it right back in.

After seeing that I have no problem with 5-10k oil changes for the HCH.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have had my car almost three months now and I have over 6300 miles on it and the oil life indicator reads 30%. I will probably get over 7500 on it by the time the indicator tells me to change the oil.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Today I did first oilchange. 8120 miles on board...

this first oilchange was free... otherwise it's $52???? that's at the Norm Reeves Honda Dealer in Socal (Cerritos Auto Square)... kind of steep isent it?

I watched the guy closely, he went away and came with oil in canisters... Mobil 0w20, they dont have it on the pipes... then he was checking tire pressure, was kind of puzzled and started to deflate them, I smiled at him and said smiling ... "45 please", guy said "ok boss, 45". filled up fluids and that's kind of it...

They dident check anything about software revisions, etc. So I guess the oilchange can be done pretty much anywhere else where they have the right oil...

Procedure is kind of weird, under the car there is some kind of pannel, not a small one... that has to be unscrewed befere getting to the filter and oil exhaust... Looks pretty simple afterall but you need to get under the car... I dont have that kind of thing at home

Quick Reply: Oil Life

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands