NY vs. 50-State Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default NY vs. 50-State Emissions

My HCH2 (bought in NJ) says it has 50-state emissions. I presume that to mean it doesn't meet CA/NY emission standards. (So isn't it really 48-state emissions?)

Does anyone know whether it's possible, what it would involve, and how much it would cost to upgrade the car to NY emissions? Not that I have to, but if it's not too much of a project, I wouldn't mind doing it.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: NY vs. 50-State Emissions

Originally Posted by blinkard
My HCH2 (bought in NJ) says it has 50-state emissions. I presume that to mean it doesn't meet CA/NY emission standards. (So isn't it really 48-state emissions?)

Does anyone know whether it's possible, what it would involve, and how much it would cost to upgrade the car to NY emissions? Not that I have to, but if it's not too much of a project, I wouldn't mind doing it.

I would think that 50-state emissions means that it meets emission standards for 50 states. Can you name 50 states other than CA and NY? I'm not sure why you think 50-state emissions means 48-state emissions.

The HCHII has earned an Advanced Technology Partial Zero-Emission Vehicle (AT-PZEV) rating. CA and NY emission standards aren't that tough.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: NY vs. 50-State Emissions

50-state means it meets the emission standards of the cleanest of the 50 states.
In other words they ship the exact same car to all states.

This is different from 2005 and earlier HCHs.

I think Honda deserves a lot of credit for this.
They are sending cars CLEANER than they are legally required to to most states.

Do you think GM does that voluntarily?