New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default New Tires

Has anyone given any thought to what kind of replacement tires you are going to use when the time comes. I have 24k miles on my HCH II and predict I will need them in the next few months. I was surprised to find out that my OEM Bridgestone Insignia SE 200 tires are not LRR's (low rolling resistance). In my initial research it seems that the Michelin MXV 4 Plus seems to be about the best bet so far in a LRR tire. The only down side is the price ($125 ea. ) I am not sure if the cost savings in using a LRR tire to gain fuel efficiency can offset the added cost.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:24 AM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: New Tires

I would check out TireRack and input make/model vehicle. They also have customer reviews as well.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

24k miles, and need new tires?! WOw. I got 60k on my Bridgestones, and am over 60k on the DUnlops.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have about 4/32" of tread left which is well over the halfway point. I have always kept the pressure fairly high for better mileage and I believe this contributes to the premature wear.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Energy Independence

Keep in mind that not ALL of the (extra) cost HAS to be made up for in extra MPG.
If they're the best tires, then maybe that's good enough all by itself. The safety factor may need to be somewhere in the equation. Not saying these Michelins are the bomb or anything (don't know and haven't looked), but consider that the difference in quality may be worth the difference in price. Amortized over 30-50K miles, tires are cheap - period.