New Tank MPG Goal for HCH Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 04:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Kenny:

___How can spending less at the pump make you nuts? How can saving a vital natural resource make you nuts? How can emitting fewer pollutants because you are receiving higher fuel economy make you nuts? You are dong great so keep it up!

___As for the short local drives, yes, sometimes those are going to drop your tanks mpg’s unfortunately.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 06-24-2004, 04:52 PM
Site Founder

It may help if you set a goal in distance so that once you pass it, just wait until you reach your mileage goal and then go straight to fill up. You don't have to use the entire tank... just most of it.

Old 07-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I finally filled up today after a month and a half. 859.3 miles on 13.25 gallons for 64.85 mpg. The dash showed 70.4, which is about 8% high, which is about the average for my car.

I don't think I did anything different for this tank; right away when I filled it at BP, it seemed different. More pep than usual, and I could hold speed using less gas. Maybe the mixture? This is by far the best tank I've had -- the previous was 61.1 mpg (at the pump).

Mark
'03 HCH 5-speed

Old 07-15-2004, 06:12 PM

Buzz70:

Wow! 859.3 miles on 13.25 gallons for 64.85 mpg. How do you do it Mark?

Do you drive it downhill and then push it up the other side?

I too am "struggling" to get a 60MPG/700+ mile tank. I found Jason's site a year and a half after I got the car, but quickly learned that I had already picked up most of the high-mileage driving techniques on my own, with the exception of increasing the tire pressure, which I did a couple of weeks ago. That seems to be getting me about 2-4 MPG (and the car does handle better).

I'm guessing the main difference between me and you (and the rest of the hi-milers) is speed. What are your typical speeds? I usually go about 3-5 over the limit. 69-70 in a 65, 60ish in a 55, etc.....

But even if I never reach 700 (which I know I will), I will always enjoy the look on peoples faces when I tell them I regularly get (only ) 600+ miles per tank.

And oh yeah, did I forget to mention that I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!. Cheers.

MC

Old 07-16-2004, 10:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

That's the funny thing; my car has gotten much better in the past 2 months (and I've had it for 2 years with 37K on it!), and I'm not doing anything different.

I keep my tires at 40 psi, I don't use the A/C much, I drive the speed limit to +5 over, I accelerate slowly when possible....

Otherwise, I use the normal techniques that everyone talks about. I play the "slow down when the light is red, and try to time it that it's green before you come to a complete stop" game when I can. I find that my car stays in lean-burn more often, which is what really makes a difference.

More often than not, I can get assist with the FCD around 60. This helps, too.

It also helps that I have the 5-speed.

Mark