New HCH & trip report (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Arrow New HCH & trip report (long)

I assume you've noticed a 2nd car in my signature. Awhile back I promised a full report after bringing the wife's new HCH home from Mark Roberts Honda in Bartlesville, Okla. Well, I got back yesterday afternoon, so here's the report.

My sister-in-law met me at the Tulsa airport Fri. afternoon and drove me up to Bartlesville (neither of us had ever been there). Every good thing "psyshack" has said here about Mark Roberts Honda is true. Both Adrian (the salesman) and Shane (the finance manager) were very honest and helpful, with all the paperwork in order. The car was in the indoor showroom (a video clip is linked on the dealer's home page) with front end cover installed. A front license plate holder was provided but not installed. Customers can choose from at least 20 different types of coffee, along with popcorn, fruits and instant soup, in the snack area. (I don't drink coffee, but my SIL had some cappucino while waiting. Later we both had some popcorn and I added a banana.) We were on the road again within an hour of arrival. I reset trip meter B to zero upon leaving the dealership.

Tulsa may not be a huge town, but its rush hour sure makes it seem like one. US 169 is a major nightmare. Somehow I was able to keep the SIL in sight and we both reached her home in one piece. Once again, I bless the fact I live in a small town!

I left Tulsa around 8:15 next morning. Stopped at the Wal-Mart in Okmulgee to buy a steering wheel cover and some snacks. Took the Indian Nation Turnpike (105 miles, toll $4.75) to US 271 just N of the state line. Took 271 thru Paris, Mt. Pleasant, Gilmer and a few other congested Texas towns. Got on US 80 eastbound in Gladewater, then took SH 42 south to I-20 west of Longview. Stopped in Shreveport, La. for gas and lunch. Took I-220 around town, then back on I-20 to Jackson, Miss. (By this time night had fallen.) Somehow managed to find US 49 southbound thru all the heavy traffic. Refueled in Magee, then finally arrived at my Hattiesburg hotel at ~8:30.

After breakfast at the hotel (and resetting the car's clock to EST), left Hattiesburg at 6:45. Got on a nearly empty US 98 eastbound to the Alabama border, where it narrows to 2 lanes. After 21 congested miles, reached I-65 in Mobile and took it south to I-10 east. I wasn't 100% sure I had enough gas to make it all the way home, so I filled up in DeFuniak Springs, Fla. I-10 and I-75 (the latter more congested) brought me home at just after 5:30.

Total miles according to trip meter B: 1308.4. Estimated MPG ( from trip B): 47.9. Actual MPG (after refilling this morning): just under 47. I kept 3-6 MPH under the speed limits on Saturday and early Sunday, then kept at the limit east of Mobile as I was eager to get home. Drove with special caution thru Miss., as I know from personal experience how the cops there target out-of-state cars.

Biggest highlight of the trip was seeing a Honda Insight pass me on I-10 in Walton County, Fla. It was lime green except for a black trunk lid and had a Fla. plate. I'd never seen an Insight in person -- just some photos. If that was your car, here's a retroactive "Howdy!"

Worst segments of the trip: 1) Trying to navigate the Jackson highways at night in heavy traffic. I've never driven in Miss. before other than the 77 miles of I-10. 2) The I-10 bridge over Escambia Bay E of Pensacola (at least the eastbound side) is still being repaired nearly 2 years after Hurricane Ivan destroyed it. Two sections are nothing but heavy steel grating that make your vehicle want to shimmy from side to side at anything over 25 MPH. The I-110 interchange into Pensacola is also under major construction.

I don't think I've ever ever seen a straigher, flatter stretch of road than I-20 between Monroe, La. and the Miss. River. And I still have yet to find a more boring trip than I-10 from Escambia Bay to Tallahassee (180 miles of almost nothing but trees).

As for the car, I don't think I've ever enjoyed driving as much! I was able to get used to the controls & gauges between Bartlesville and Tulsa, although there are major differences vs. my '05 HCH. The only thing I had trouble with was the climate control. It's hard to tell if the A/C is on or off, as there's no green indicator light like on the '05 or my previous car. As a result, there were a couple of times when the A/C was on and I didn't know it! No doubt that affected FE by a small amount.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: New HCH & trip report (long)

Nice post, Dave!

I am still waiting on an HCH-II from Mark Roberts. Good to hear another positive story about them.

Did they give you temporary tags or anything? I'll be driving back to Texas (just to the Dallas area). Not nearly the long drive you had. I presume there is something official on the car, just so you don't get stopped at every little town needing a little extra "tourist cash," collected by the police dept.

Good to hear you are liking it already. It will be interesting to hear your comparisons between to '05 and the '06 as time rolls by.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:00 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: New HCH & trip report (long)

Hi;

Just picked mine up this past Saturday and as yourself said, I really like it. It is a very different car than the 1st 2003 HCH I, I purchased back then.

Man you had a long trip. I drove only like 225 miles I think from dealer to my home. Compared to you I was like on a Sunday drive in the park.

Congrats on your New HCH II.

Terry

Old 03-07-2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by gumby
Did they give you temporary tags or anything? I'll be driving back to Texas (just to the Dallas area). Not nearly the long drive you had. I presume there is something official on the car, just so you don't get stopped at every little town needing a little extra "tourist cash," collected by the police dept.
They taped a cardboard dealer tag to the rear window. (Good thing, as it rained in Tulsa that night & early morning.) It's good for 30 days. Had I traded the old car in rather than selling it privately, the plate would simply have been transferred immediately. (Once all the paperwork comes back in the mail & the car is registered here, the old plate will go on. In Florida, your plate follows you from car to car.)

When I get the chance, I'll post a few photos of the car & tag.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Energy Independence

Thanks, Dave.

Cardboard -- INSIDE -- Good idea!

Old 03-08-2006, 02:00 PM

I just posted a photo of the car & dealer tag in the "Share" section.