New HCH

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Enthusiast
Talking New HCH

Hello everyone,

I've been interested in the HCH for over a year now. Two years ago I got a 2003 to replace a totalled vehicle.

When I saw the new 2006 remodel of the Civics, my mind was made up - I had to get the new Civic. I test drove the HCH in December and I loved it. I had considered the Prius (I've been in one and I do really like it) but, I do love how elegant the Civic is. I've been reading this board for a few weeks now, and I really do thank everyone for the useful information that is presented here!

I started calling around on Monday, March 6th to inquire about the availability of the hybrids. I really do prefer the blue interior so my color options were limited (I hadn't seen either the silver or magnetic blue prior to ownership). Dealer #1 let me know that the next car they had coming in would take nearly a month. That was unacceptable to me so I continued my search. The second call I made (Dealer #2) said they had my preferred color (magnetic pearl) and with Nav coming in within a little over a week. By late Monday AM, I had a purchase agreement signed.

On Friday the 10th I picked up the car and have been itching to drive it everywhere I can. So far I'm getting around 42 mpg on the trip counter (about 350 miles).

I'm trying to learn the best way to drive "efficiently". Having this vehicle definately gives me a new viewpoint on how poorly I would drive before (accelerating quickly, punching the gas to pass someone etc.)

After another week or so, I will post some of my opinions on the vehicle, but thus far kudos to Honda!

Regards,

Dan

Old 03-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New HCH

Contratulations on your new vehicle! I've loved owning my HCH2 for about 4 months now and have learned how to squeeze about 51-53 mpg on the tank. Let the speed demons burn their fuel away. My hybrid brings peace back into the driving experience. Plus it's nice passing all those hummers as I drive in the carpool lane. Contrats!

Old 03-13-2006, 06:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Congrats on your HCH II! You've got a fantastic color combo!

Old 03-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Originally Posted by geeckk
I started calling around on Monday, March 6th to inquire about the availability of the hybrids. I really do prefer the blue interior so my color options were limited (I hadn't seen either the silver or magnetic blue prior to ownership). Dealer #1 let me know that the next car they had coming in would take nearly a month. That was unacceptable to me so I continued my search. The second call I made (Dealer #2) said they had my preferred color (magnetic pearl) and with Nav coming in within a little over a week. By late Monday AM, I had a purchase agreement signed.
Dan, without being overly nosey..what kind of deal were you able to get? I would expect getting a hybrid less then 2 weeks after you started looking came at a cost...unless the supply has now exceeded demand (which the others on this list and a waiting list do not seem to share)... or you got "lucky"

Old 03-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm trying to learn the best way to drive "efficiently". Having this vehicle definately gives me a new viewpoint on how poorly I would drive before (accelerating quickly, punching the gas to pass someone etc.)

Kinda makes you feel bad about giving your wife a hard time for driving and accelerating so slow, huh? (I try all the techniques and get 45 mpg, my wife drives the way she always has and gets 53!)

Old 03-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Enthusiast

lkewin,

Think I got really lucky actually. The first dealer didn't have any in stock, but still gave me an internet sale price that they would give me if I ordered. When I called the second dealer, they said that they just happened to have one coming on the truck that wasn't spoken for... seems like the demand was exactly what their supply was (every time I visited them in the past, they had only 1 HCH II).

I don't think your question is nosey at all. I think I lucked out because I payed below the msrp listed on Honda's site. The quote I got from dealer 1 was the following:

2006 Honda Civic Sedan CVT w/nav 2 in transit 22,485

I used that for leverage at dealer #2 (although they didn't know that "in transit" meant 3 weeks + and not even for the color I wanted). I managed to get the base price to 22,800 (+ $220 for splash guards, wheel locks) - I probably could've pushed harder, but I didn't want to rely on the first dealer.

I think the market here was just right and I was able to get a decent deal without waiting. What do you think - decent deal?

jaykay - I know what you mean... I've been so used to accelerating quickly and giving the girl the "come on step on it" phrase! Now it looks like I am the "Sunday Driver".

This car definately makes the driving experience more relaxing! Can't wait to get out of work to go drive home!

Last edited by geeckk; 03-13-2006 at 12:03 PM. Reason: didn't look quite right when I pasted the table in...
Old 03-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

GEECKK... where are you located? I'm in So. Cal, at 1.5 months and still waiting (my silver w/nav is due this week)... paid MSRP. NOTE: Dealer wanted $3,000 over MSRP, but I know someone who has a friend at Honda corp offices, and they made a call to help me. That quickly knocked it back to MSRP. Best I could do here!

Old 03-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
GEECKK... where are you located? I'm in So. Cal, at 1.5 months and still waiting (my silver w/nav is due this week)... paid MSRP. NOTE: Dealer wanted $3,000 over MSRP, but I know someone who has a friend at Honda corp offices, and they made a call to help me. That quickly knocked it back to MSRP. Best I could do here!
Wow... Maybe I should tone down the excitement on the good deal I got. I almost couldn't stand the week-or-so wait.

I'm located in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin. This is about 20 minutes Northwest of Milwaukee. There must definately be a shortage of hybrid demand here.

Hope you get your car as anticipated!

Old 03-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hey, don't worry about it! We should all enjoy the benefits of living where we do. For you, it's getting a great deal on a car, light traffic (better than here, anyway!) and a great quality of life. For me, it's about not having to clear snow off my car in winter!