To NAV or not to NAV?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 09:32 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: To NAV or not to NAV?

Originally Posted by zamafir
When using sat nav, can you also listen to a audio cd?
Yes. The NAVI DVD has a dedicated slot behind the screen. There's a separate slot for audio CD's.

Additionally, is anyone using an iPod with their HCH (preferably II) with satnav? if so how's that working?
Yes, it works great. The AUX jack is just below the climate controls right next to a little cubbyhole that's perfectly sized to hold an ipod. If you want to spring for an additional $200 (maybe$250?), Honda is making an 'ipodlink' which will also allow you to fully control your ipod through the NAV interface (scroll through song lists, etc.)

Additionally, Honda is indicating that sat nav comes equipped with Satellite Radio as standard. Is this what you sat nav equipped hybrid owners are finding?
It comes 'XM ready' which means if you buy and install an XM tuner you can control it through the NAV interface and steering wheel controls. It runs about $400 plus $400 installation. I opted to get a Siruis Starmate which I just plug in to the AUX port for $79.

Old 12-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Enthusiast

Have you heard anything on if the iPod interface will be able to be used with the Xm tuner? I'm serious considering getting a Civic hybrid, and I'm kinda looking for things to push me over the edge. :-)

Old 12-26-2005, 06:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There is some sort of a port available to plug your MP3 player into the system. I've also read on the Honda site about their Honda Music Link iPod Adapter which will allow full control of the iPod from the radio and/or steering wheel controls.

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...e=Civic+Hybrid

Old 12-26-2005, 11:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lwdupont
Have you heard anything on if the iPod interface will be able to be used with the Xm tuner? I'm serious considering getting a Civic hybrid, and I'm kinda looking for things to push me over the edge. :-)
Yes, the iPod Music Link will also work if you have the factory XM satellite radio setup. There is an optional charge for a Y-adaptor CAN-bus cable to allow both units to be hooked to, and controlled by, the indash head-unit. I've seen the install instructions and it's pretty straight-forward.
I plan on modifying the install to include an iPod cradle instead of having just a dangling connector.

Old 12-31-2005, 10:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Speaking of Navi. Here's an email I just received from an online gps vendor. (Great site. I've purchased from them before.) They have many models to choose from. All are fairly cheap.

The Garmin GPSMAP 396 with Terrain, XM Weather and Music promotion for the FREE $239 Auto Kit ends today, December 31st, 2005.

Order from GPS World Supply by visiting http://www.gpsworldsupply.com

Due to the holiday, we will be closed Monday, January 2, 2006. We will re-open 8 AM on Tuesday, January 3, 2006.

Happy New Year from the Team at GPS World Supply!

info@gpsworldsupply.com

GPS World Supply
3N060 Powis Road
West Chicago, IL 60185

800-906-6600
630-584-3557

Old 12-31-2005, 04:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My EX has Navi and its great!! I really wish it had a trip computer. The lack of that is really stupid.. Wags middle finger at Honda.