Mountain driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Mountain driving

Anybody have suggestions for getting the most on my upcoming trip to the Appalacians? Needless to say, it's quite different from my usual Ohio farmland.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:49 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mountain driving

Enjoy the scenery and ignore the mileage gauge - it will put you in a bad mood!

:-)

(real answer - there is no easy way to get good mileage in the mountains! Just don't use cruise control as the mileage will be worse than without)

Eric

Old 05-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Eric, I see you're in central PA, which is just about where I'll be (Somerset/Berlin). Any use in using 'S' instead of 'D' while I'm on US-30 between Donegal and Bedford?

Old 05-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

That's a bit further west than I am actually. I'm in the York area which is out of the really hilly area, we have more "rolling" hills here. I have never really tried to use the S position actually (or at least I have never TRIED to. I know that the car doesn't regen in S from the one time I slid the shifter past D and into S... took a few minutes before I figured out why I couldn't regen... ). Anyhow, Rt 30 at least where I am is pretty much a 55mph 2 lane highway. The mileage should be much better for than if you were on the turnpike or other highway during the hills. If I were you I'd just use Drive, and use the "drive with load" techniques described here. That's what has worked best for me on hills. You end up slowing down as you go up the hill, but as you go down the other side, you can kick the car into EV mode (100mpg pegged - no fuel being used) and "coast" and regen down the other side. Let me know how you do - I'd guess I'd get 45-50 under those conditions (When I can go slower in our rolling hills at 40 mph I have gotten up to 63 or 64 mpg for the 18 mile trip to the inlaws house)

Good luck

Eric

Old 05-23-2006, 05:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by williaea
I have never really tried to use the S position actually (or at least I have never TRIED to. I know that the car doesn't regen in S from the one time I slid the shifter past D and into S... took a few minutes before I figured out why I couldn't regen... ).
If you're going down a hill you get more regen in S than you do in D. If you're going down a steep hill you can hold your foot on the brake and get a lot of regen, or you can shift to S. You'll see the engine RPMs go higher and you'll get more regen without touching the brake pedal.

Old 05-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Enthusiast

I have been able to climb several mountains in my travel for work and still end up with overall great mileage.My last tank was 57.2 mpg and it was as i call it my mountain run( Kane and Saint Marys Pa.).I have had my car for 2 weeks know and have just over 2000 miles on it.Just keep your speed and rpm's under control.

Last edited by HFD5108; 05-23-2006 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

Harry,

That's great. Better mileage than I guessed for your driving. Sounds like the Civic is working out well then?

Eric

Old 05-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Enthusiast

I live in Colorado and (as you would guess) do a fair bit of mountain driving.

Don't use cruise control when going up a long, steep grade. The assist will usually not come on, and the RPMs will just get higher and higher to maintain speed.

Take it out of cruise, then to force the assist to come on, pulse the gas pedal and watch the assist bars rise. The RPMs will not rise as dramatically as when using the cruise.

At least this is my experience, and I regularly get about 46 mpg.