Maxing out your mpg

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 06:55 PM
my other car is a FJORD
Default Re: Maxing out your mpg

Originally Posted by tbaleno
Umm, from what I've seen no. Driving 20mph over the speed limit generaly does not involve keeping both hands on the wheel. Watch and see how many people have one arm wrapped over the back of the passenger seat or one arm out the window.

Watch closely and I'm sure you will see a guy lighting a cigarette stearing with only his knees. For the most part people aren't as extreem as those guys but generaly most don't have both hands on the wheel. Lots of times there are people changing CDs at 20+MPH over the speed limit. Oh and watch as some even rifle through their cd carrier to find the right cd to put in the deck. And some (like my brother) drive with just one of their thumbs on the wheel.

the worst example of that happened the second day i had my HCH and was on a road trip, 2 lane country road, in the rain, being very closerly followed by a large truck, with a young driver. he had one hand holding his cell phone to his ear and kept slicking back his hair or holding his other hand over the other ear while he drove with his knees......for miles! i wish i could have seen the company logo on his truck, they would have gotten an ear full from me.

Old 11-13-2005, 06:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by laurie
the worst example of that happened the second day i had my HCH and was on a road trip, 2 lane country road, in the rain, being very closerly followed by a large truck, with a young driver. he had one hand holding his cell phone to his ear and kept slicking back his hair or holding his other hand over the other ear while he drove with his knees......for miles! i wish i could have seen the company logo on his truck, they would have gotten an ear full from me.
Next time something like that happens, I suggest pulling over at the first opportunity and letting the tailgater pass. You'll both be safer and happier, and you'll get to see his company logo.

Old 11-14-2005, 05:09 AM
World's First Hybrid

Ive seen it all too. My commute used to be 80+ miles/day on mostly freeway. People eating burgers with both hands, on cell phone at same time steering with their knees while smoking a but and drinking coffee, left foot out the window or up on the dash, reading books/bibles/newspapers etc... I just speed up and pass as quickly as possible if they are going to slow or just let them get ahead a safe distance.. I've also called state police to report the "rail to rail" yahoos, those dudes and dudettes that change 3-4 lanes at a time while travellling at ludicrous speed...

Old 11-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just purchased my 06 HCH. I'm getting about 45 or so. How soon before I start getting into the mid 50's?

Last edited by chesleyn; 11-26-2005 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:05 PM

When the weather is around 60-75F. Also. inflate your tires to max cold sidewall pressure. Follow all the tips on this site and if your commute is favorable you should be able to do it.

Old 11-24-2005, 01:28 PM

Hi Chesleyn:

___You will start getting into the 50 + mpg range when YOU WANT TO! The car will get you to 50 but you have to drive it sensibly. For 60 +, even more … The FE you receive is absolutely up to you, not some magic that car gives although we can sometimes help you find those magical moments via setup or technique when and where they exist.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Last edited by xcel; 11-24-2005 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Enthusiast
Post Re: Maxing out your mpg

I get 50-60 all the time. My best has been 74 mpg with the 03 Honda CIVIC Hybrid. Here's howto do it.

Most important to to always let off the accelerator just enough after you reach the spped you want or a little abive it. Thn watch the mpg meter climb. Unless your going up a hill or into a serious wind the speed will remain constant and you will average high mpg.

Always brake gentley to regain all that energy in your batteries with the regenerative braking. Also look ahead and start slowing down way ahead. This may keep from stopping at all and you keep rolling.

Of course use the enconomy setting on the Air Cond. If it's really hot don't use the higest fan setting, about 3-4 is enouhg, at a stop drop it to 1 , then after starting up again se it back to 3-4.

Don't jack rabbit start and drag. It eats fuel fast.

Don't buy after market big rims or wide tires. The low rolling resistance tires you have are great. Keep them inflatted.

Don't creak ahead at a light or traffic jam. It will defeat the auto stop.

Only move ahead when you can reach about 10 mpg or better, then if you stop it will auto stop again.

On an Insight with manual I can get 100+, On a Prius I can get 70+. With a plugin hybrid option from Edrive next year I may get 200+

Jim

Old 11-25-2005, 01:24 PM

Hi JStack6:

___I was wondering if I would ever see your bright smiling face over here? Welcome to the hypermiling fringe where EPA estimates are numbers some simply laugh at let alone bury in all kinds of weather, temperature, terrain, and conditions … day after day, tank after tank

___Good Luck and Welcome.

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-26-2005, 10:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Increased PSI to 40 in my tires today. Notice a huge difference in freeway mpg. Will post more later.

Any tips for pulsing up hills? I hate to lose ~1 mpg because of some hill.

Originally Posted by chesleyn
Just purchased my 06 HCH. I'm getting about 45 or so. How soon before I start getting into the mid 50's?