Maxing out your mpg

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Maxing out your mpg

You are likely correct with your bridgestone @ 44PSI max cold rating, I have the Dunlops which are rated @ 51PSI max cold pressure rating.

The maximum pressure I can put into my tires and maintain the rated safety margin is 51PSI while the tire is cold. As you already know the tire heats up on the road and the pressure increases. How much the pressure increases varies quite a bit so the tire companies set a rating while cold. Thus, the maximum rating is not 44PSI, but 44PSI cold pressure rating.

BTW
Congradulations on your good results !!!

Old 04-30-2005, 05:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

thanks, i'm going to raise them to 44 psi tomorrow

Old 05-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I've owned my new '05 HCH CVT for 9 days now and loving it! I found this site fairly early on, and while I knew a car with 20 miles on it at purchase had a lot of breaking in to do for its real MPG, I drove around the first 3 or 4 days a bit disappointed by its 34-35 MPGs. I checked this thread out and started learning the little tricks - I'm by no means a hyper-miler and I live in FL so yeah, the AC does come on at times - but I'm 2/3 through the car's first tank and am up to 38.9 MPG. I may not hit 40 on this trip, but I'm positive the second tank will be at least 44-45 or so based on what I've discovered and the engine's constant wearing-in. Thanks for the tips, all!

Last edited by helterskelter683; 05-02-2005 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Needed to add signature :)
Old 05-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Congradulations helterskelter683 on your new car purchase and especially your new-found efficiency.

We are most happy to pass along any tips that may help.
Perhaps someday you can help us in areas never thought of or tried?

Anyway welcome to the community.

Old 11-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Maxing out your mpg

I have had my 04 HCH manual transmission for a little over a month now...

I have found that in 4th gear going 40MPH with Cruise Control I can maintain 80 MPG. I have just increased my tire pressure to 38PSi which my tires were under 30PSi, and I have been pulsing and gliding in traffic. My commute gets little dips here and there so if I and in cruise control I tend to coast as reachign the top of the bumps and continue to coast on the downside and I could almost completely compensate for the momentum lost on the upside. I also have learned not to go above 60MPH (usually 55MPH) and on the freeway I drive one lane to the left of the entrance / exit lane (slow Lane) to avoid people wanting to tailgate me for driving below posted speed limit. I have started averaging 55MPG now.

Old 11-11-2005, 01:02 PM
Active Enthusiast
Wink Re: Maxing out your mpg

I'm a brand new 06 HCH owner. Not much inclined toward hypermiling, but definitely do want to get the best milage I can keeping the following priorities in order:
  1. Don't get run over, shot, or othewise noticed as a general pain on the road.
  2. Enjoy my ride.
  3. Get to where I'm going in a reasonable amount of time with reasonable safety (some of #1).
  4. Save money
  5. Stick it to oil companies and foreign oil providers.
So, I pledge to drive as often as possible on cruise control, keep the climate control set to around 70 (f), keep to within 5 mph of the speed limit at all times, and forego short hop errands where possible. Hopefully, these will help me realize some savings without obsessing too much on the average FE. (Not that I don't )

Cheers everyone, and thanks to the hypermilers out there that help us all save more $$$!!!!!

Don

Old 11-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Originally Posted by bluecivichybrid
you can also choose to reboot your car after auto-stop by shifting to neutral, turning the key one click back, and controlling your speed with the brake and handbrake if necessary. then restart the engine once you have to go forward again.

DANGER Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!

Ummm... besides being illegal in some states (the same as taking a manual transmission out of gear and coasting on the freeway,) how exactly does one STEER the car, with all that key switching, gear shifting, and brake pulling?

This sounds like one of those old Black and White 3-reelers in which one of the characters peels broken car parts off his head as he says "I'm a vicitm of soikumstance!"

Old 11-11-2005, 05:50 PM

Yes, It can be dangerous. And should never be used when others are around or where you may have to react quickly.

Funny how few people react to people saying they are driving 20MPH over the speed limit. Everyone knows its dangerous too. I think it is all in what people are familar with. Most people are familiar with going over the speed limit, but very few have ever rebooted and it scares them because its something they are unfamiliar with.

Old 11-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

But doesn't driving 20mph over the speed limit (generally) involve keeping both hands on the wheel and eyes on the road (unless, natch, there's a cell phone involved!)

But then, I'm more afraid of people who drive significantly UNDER the speed limit. Fortunately our state has both max. and min. speed limits on the highways to deal with slow-driving scofflaws, like my father.

Old 11-11-2005, 08:24 PM

Umm, from what I've seen no. Driving 20mph over the speed limit generaly does not involve keeping both hands on the wheel. Watch and see how many people have one arm wrapped over the back of the passenger seat or one arm out the window.

Watch closely and I'm sure you will see a guy lighting a cigarette stearing with only his knees. For the most part people aren't as extreem as those guys but generaly most don't have both hands on the wheel. Lots of times there are people changing CDs at 20+MPH over the speed limit. Oh and watch as some even rifle through their cd carrier to find the right cd to put in the deck. And some (like my brother) drive with just one of their thumbs on the wheel.

Quick Reply: Maxing out your mpg

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands