I've unstealthed my HCH.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I've unstealthed my HCH.

I was thinking of re-installing my front licecense plate holder and making a simple plate that reads "65MPG" backwards to be read in people's rear view mirror.

Perhaps that would work better?

Old 06-26-2005, 11:30 PM

I think the font on a plate holder is too small to be read in a rear-view mirror.

Maybe some smaller window sticker on the rear windows? If there are hostile drivers in your area, then ya might wanna stay stealthy for the time being, until the rest of the drivers can grow up.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

"making a simple plate that reads '65MPG'..."

While we are on this topic, I have to say that I believe that if the bumper sticker had said "I get 65 MPG in my hybrid." -- minus the "You?" part -- you might not have encountered the same hostility.

This is just my personal taste, but it seems to me that having a license plate that says "I get 65 MPG" might cause your pickup truck guy to just make note of it, and maybe later in the evening say to his wife "Hey Mabel, I was behind one of them hybrids today, and it said he got 65 MPG." "Maybe we oughta think about gettin' us one."

Whereas the "You?" puts an accusation in the individual's face, and might generate a more immediate, and angry, response.

Again, it's just my style, but sometimes planting a seed and leaving it to germinate can be the most effective method of influencing people in the direction you would like them to go.

Old 06-27-2005, 06:21 PM

Hi Hot_Georgia_2004:

___The good thing is it’s now a past experience and not one you will probably have to deal with ever again. What about modifying the message to just “ I receive 65 mpg” as Coyote suggested? Let us know how it goes?

___Coyote, good point about the “You” part. I have even asked Jason to change the GH signature’s to “I receive” instead of “I get” to make it just a bit less in your face sounding. I think the 65 mpg moniker would be an excellent addition to Hot_Georgia_2004’s HCH without the “You” part as well.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 06-27-2005, 06:42 PM
Rarely post anything

"Receive" ? "Get" ? More like "Earn"

Seriously, though... "Get" is more common lexicon, and thus, more accessible to the common person / consumer. If I were to say "I receive x miles/gal" to someone, I'd probably get a semi-puzzled look from the person I was speaking with, and perhaps even be labeled as 'elitist' (which may / may not be true, but I don't enjoy the label

The use of the word "You ?" *can* be construed as confrontational in nature; ie; implying that whatever the reader of the phrase is receiving (sorry - couldn't resist) isn't good enough, when compared to the owner's car (again, smacks of elitism). Now, *we* may all think that the reader's sub-14mpg (while belching out high levels of GHGs) *isn't* good enough - but the goal is to convince s/he of that, without making *them* feel like they're the 'bad guy'. The old 'carrot / stick' analogy works well here. Make them your friend against a *common* enemy, and feeling like they're part of a team (if they'd only get on board), and you're halfway to making another convert.

Old 06-27-2005, 07:18 PM

Those were all really good suggestions but I'm not putting anything on the back anymore.

But If the stickers ever change as suggested I'd like to get one and attach it to a photograph of me & my car and post it on my cube at work.

Old 06-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
I told them 60-65 which is what I'm getting. I could have posted 60 on my bumper but I'd be cutting myself short.
I wouldn't worry about it. Many people when asked, say they get "oh about 30 mpg" when it truth that's just ONE time during a long highway trip. On average, they're only getting 25-28.

So you just followed the trend of "rounding up" to your best MPG.

troy

Old 06-28-2005, 12:50 PM

Sounds like the area here Steve, i would think it would be better down in atlanta than the 'redneck' northern part of the state, guess not. I figure i make 'em mad enough going slow...better not do anything to provoke 'em even if it is just a meager 35mpg sticker. I think the reversed 65mpg is a great idea..it would get people wondering. Just be sure to watch ahead, i wouldnt want you to get brake checked. I would think though that a simple XX mpg sticker wouldnt get much of a rise though except for those really hurting w/ there fuel costs, and then it might just make 'em think.

Old 07-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Enthusiast

Yikes! And this happened in what I consider to be a nice part of the country.

I get harassed by aggressive drivers on the morning commute for grievous errors such as allowing a car length of space between the car in front of me at 70 mph. And this was before I got my hybrid. In the interest of sanity and fuel economy, I've relegated myself to the far right lane on the morning turnpike terror. I've also programmed the number for reporting aggessive drivers into the speed dial of my cell phone. I don't believe I can share the voice dialing trigger for this number without violating the TOS for this forum.

I did just get in my custom plate "ECO GEEK" and so far, no problems. Granted, it arrived on Friday and I have yet to brave the morning commute with it.
So, um, how far "up" can I round? The readout shows great mileage just after I fill up & reset at the station at the top of a very long hill

Old 07-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MoJoWryter
So, um, how far "up" can I round? The readout shows great mileage just after I fill up & reset at the station at the top of a very long hill
I would not round up over 15-20 mpg as you would upset some folks! Stay away from 80 mpg and above!

Quick Reply: I've unstealthed my HCH.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands