I've unstealthed my HCH.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default I've unstealthed my HCH.

I got one of those cool "I GET 65MPG. YOU?" stickers and put it right in the center of my rear bumper and had it there now for 2 days.
http://www.cafepress.com/greenhybrid/578054

Over the last 18 months I never had anyone ask questions (on the road) about my car until the drive today when someone pulled up along side at a light and said "really?"

Note that this is the only bumper sticker I've ever applied to any of my past vehicles. Normally I just don't like them but made an exception this time.

Life is good.

Old 06-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I've unstealthed my HCH.

So, did you tell them that you only get around 58mpg, and not quite 65?

Old 06-24-2005, 11:49 AM

I told them 60-65 which is what I'm getting.
I could have posted 60 on my bumper but I'd be cutting myself short.

Old 06-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I just got my "50 mpg" bumper sticker and will gladly pay for the 55 when my lpmg gets that high. And I will gladly pay for the 60, and so on, and so on.

Old 06-26-2005, 03:07 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Here's what I had on my back window for a while. I took off the bottom half as my wife thought it was too "mean", I didn't fight since I can't break 50MPG most of the year. Winter I can no problem.

Now this one is a little corny, but it sets me apart from the other cars so at least someone knows it's me. The price was right too. I have a vinyl plotter. Sticker was virtually free. (I have to get a new motherboard for it now $1000!! ) I may take it off later on, but it has been quite a promotional item for hybrids in general as I've had TONS of questions about hybrids. I want my cut Honda!

Old 06-26-2005, 03:23 PM

I like it. You should have some blue electricy mixed in with the fire.

Old 06-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I like it too.

I've thought about doing that -- decals on the front or rear windows -- but I haven't had the guts to do it. Part of that is because I'm an old fogey and a wimp. Part of it, however, stems from my concern that people seeing me driving the speed limit -- aka 'slow' -- will see the 'hybrid' decal, and say "Hmmm, another gutless wimpy underpowered motor scooter." Which is patently untrue, since I'm intentionally going that speed in order to get better mileage. Of course, I could be speeding along with the best of them without problem, but they don't know that.

I wish I wasn't so darned analytical.

Old 06-26-2005, 07:33 PM

Really I wasn't going to say much about what happened to me regarding my sticker, but since this thread is running I'll mention.

Please understand that the last 18 months I can't remember anyone ever getting upset behind me. Not one.

Over the 1st two days of posting the sticker I had a nice conversation with another driver.
The next two days turned really ugly.
My faith in the other drivers in my area is shattered.

Day 3 I'm driving just above the speed limit at about 46-47MPH and a full size Chevy pickup comes up behind. Apparently he read my sticker as he agressively tailgated for a while. No where to pull over he'd back off a few car lengths then gassss it like he's going to ram, blowing his horn and flashing his lights.
Speeding up above 50 made no change.
Looked like the mid-age guy was really enjoying it.
After a couple more miles he turned off.
Good. I was rid of him.

Further down the road I arrived alone at a stop light. A minute later the intersection was packed. The light turned green and I didn't drive more than 20 feet before the car behind started blaring the horn, gestures and flashing lights.

Not a pleasant drive to say the least.

Day 4 was severely tailgated by numerous drivers.

Sorry, I don't need this treatment so last night I re-stealthed my HCH by removing the sticker.
Today back to normal. A nice, pleasant, uneventful drive.

Perhaps a less-radical posted MPG figure wouldn't generate such rage but I'm staying in steath mode.
Keep that in mind before posting figures on your back bumper.

I think we have alot further to go as a society as previously thought.

Old 06-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Wow.

What a scary and disappointing story. "I think we have alot further to go as a society as previously thought." You are so right. My condolences.

I have always joked, "the more I know people, the more I like my dog." Some days that rings truer than others.

Old 06-26-2005, 09:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wow. What a sad story.

I've had my "I get 50MPG. You?" plate frames on for a couple of weeks, and haven't noticed that it's caused any aggression in other drivers. Maybe it's too innocuous.

Now that I think about it, I never read people's licence plate frames, while bumper stickers are crying out to be noticed and read. My new theory is that licence plate frames "belong" on the vehicle more naturally than bumper stickers, and therefore attract much less attention.

Quick Reply: I've unstealthed my HCH.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands