ima battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:44 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: ima battery replacement

Originally Posted by Smurf
Brett,

That sounds like the same issue I had...(See this thread in the HCH II discussion: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-parked-23824/).

I live in Arizona and though it was heat related as well, but I've seen the same issue all winter long.

I also felt it was a safety issue to suddenly not have the available power when you needed it. I nearly got into a couple of accidents when pulling out into traffic (with 8 bars) only to find the vehicle was recalibrating.

The new software only served to supress the fault code....

I had to fight with the dealer and even opened a customer service case with American Honda. They eventually gave in and agreed to replace my battery.

My advice is to do the same. Ask your dealer for a phone number you can call to escalate the issue. In addition, call American Honda and register a complaint with them.

If you have to threaten to go public......

How did you get them to replace the battery? I have tried but with no code they say nothing is wrong. I have a 2007 HCH and I know when it is operating normal and when it is not. It is not. The mechanics even said I need a new battery but because there is no code they aren't authorized to do it. Opened the case with American Honda and their official stance is the car is in normal working order since no codes are given. I have a lawyer that is going to write a letter. I need to just find exactly where I need to send it. I am taking them to small claims court to get a new battery because it is not safe when it does the ReCals randomly every other day. This is crap, if we are all having the same issues it should be addressed!

Old 05-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Enthusiast

ldychipmnk,

There were 3 things that I think were key to getting my battery replaced.

1. I went for a test drive with the shop foreman, and we both saw the re-cals...

2. I asked my dealer for the phone number to call so I can escalate (They did not provide their direct supervisor's number but they told me to call American Honda, and gave me that number)

3. I called American Honda direct and opened a customer service case myself. I got everyone's name at the dealership and supplied it to American Honda.

My dealer put all of the blame on their Honda upstream support not giving them permission to change the battery. But, since he knew I was escalating the issue, the shop foreman at my dealership placed a call to his upstream support manager, who gave him permission to order a new battery.

I suspect that if you contact American Honda and tell them you have gotten a lwayer involved you may get some movement on this....

Good Luck

Old 05-21-2010, 09:12 AM
Enthusiast

hmmm, Maybe I am just dealing with sucky dealerships then because both have verbally said the battery needs to be replaced but since there is no code they won't and can't do it. Maybe I need one where they are on my side in this. I have spoken with American Honda too and their official position is that car is functioning normally. I have actually opened a case now with the Better Business Bureau, I have a lawyer that is going to write a letter, and another firm looking into the matter. I also have a new contact to deal with at American Honda in the 'Mediation Dept' It looks like I am actually going to have to take them to court to get this resolved. It is ridiculous.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Enthusiast

Idychipmnk,

You might want to try to go public.

Send communications to your local TV stations and national publications.

Honda covering up issues with batteries in order to save costs? That would make pretty good story....

Look at all the bad PR Toyota has gotten.. I don't think Honda wants that....

Old 05-22-2010, 12:54 AM
Enthusiast

Did as you recommended, and sent emails. I also filed an official complaint with the nhtsa since I have almost been creamed when i lost power making a left....we will see what happens.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Enthusiast

American Honda called back. I have a 2005 honda civic hybrid with barely 100k miles. The battery is failing and I am told it will cost me $3000.00 to replace. I spoke with American Honda and they offered 10% off. The Honda rep explained that its like fixing any other component ie. transmission, engine, etc. I beg to differ. I can take my car to many transmission shops and choose the best deal for me. However, with the hybrid battery you can't do this, in fact we are lucky if we can find anyone to work on the Hybrids. I have had the car in the dealership 3-4 times for battery light, but the dealership shows only once recorded..great!! I had a problem where my HCH just stopped on a major freeway in the fast lane and got rear ended. I couldn't explain why, did I put my foot on the brake? was it when I shifted gear? Now I wonder was it a battery issue? I don't know!!, I do know what I have learned and what I've read there seems to be a serious issue with the HCH battery failure. Why does Honda pick and chose who is lucky enough to get it replaced after warranty? I was lucky enough to find out partially why..(how many new Hondas have you owned,) but not lucky enough to get it replaced even when I offered to pay about 25%. Insight owners still seem to be going strong even 200k miles without as many issues as the hch, does anyone agree? Good luck to all of you...I am done with Honda, but not the fight. I too have looked into reporting to the NHTSA. Oh, by the way is anyone else considering heat issues...I live in Texas. I noticed Nissan will not sell their Altima hybrid in southern states anyone know why?

On the older insights I just read on another post why they don't have the problem HONDA EXTENDED THE WARRANTY ON THEIR BATTERIES TO 10 YEARS/150K MILES.

Last edited by Crosbygirl; 05-26-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smurf
ldychipmnk,

There were 3 things that I think were key to getting my battery replaced.

1. I went for a test drive with the shop foreman, and we both saw the re-cals...

2. I asked my dealer for the phone number to call so I can escalate (They did not provide their direct supervisor's number but they told me to call American Honda, and gave me that number)

3. I called American Honda direct and opened a customer service case myself. I got everyone's name at the dealership and supplied it to American Honda.

My dealer put all of the blame on their Honda upstream support not giving them permission to change the battery. But, since he knew I was escalating the issue, the shop foreman at my dealership placed a call to his upstream support manager, who gave him permission to order a new battery.

I suspect that if you contact American Honda and tell them you have gotten a lwayer involved you may get some movement on this....

Good Luck
Smurf,
I also live in Arizona and have the same issue. 2007 HCHII with 48k miles. I live in Chandler, can you please tell me what dealership you went to?
Mine gets worse every week. It started a few months back. I am used to getting 48 to 54 mpg, and now get 33 to 40 mpg. I would get 35 mpg for a tank, but my last 5 miles is a 45 mph drive that makes up for some bad milage. With about 5 to 7 bars at the beginning of the drive, in a few minutes I might have 3 or 4 bars but will have no assist and no power and almost got rear ended on the freeway trying to merge.
I am busy this week but next week I am going to take it in. I will tell everyone how it goes. Thanks to this forum, I know now its not just me but the car.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cheezmo1
With about 5 to 7 bars at the beginning of the drive, in a few minutes I might have 3 or 4 bars but will have no assist and no power and almost got rear ended on the freeway trying to merge.
That is normal operation if it goes down to 3 or 4 bars. The problem we're discussing here is when it drops to 1 bar from 5 to 7 bars in less than 15 seconds--what is know as a battery recalibration.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Enthusiast

Just a quick note. I pursued Honda and finally spoke with someone above the person that I originally spoke to. American Honda called me and gave me a much better offer. I now can get my car fixed for less than $1000.00 my cost. A big step from the $3000.00 originally quoted. Apparently, just as others have said don't give up.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:28 AM
Enthusiast

Nope, mine is the same problem. It used to go down to 1 bar, sometimes it does sometimes it goes to nothing and other times it will sit at 3 or 4 bars. Either way, it has the same outcome, it's recharging while I idle or while i'm driving and I have no power and crappy mpg. My first 45k miles it never did this ever that I noticed, now it does it twice a day.
The first time i noticed it, it did go to nothing from 6 to 8 bars in seconds, usually while i'm in line to get on the freeway, so I was barely moving. The strange thing is it would sometimes go to autostop which would make it worse. Why would it go to autostop if my battery charge was dropping?

Quick Reply: ima battery replacement

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands