How does Civic Hybrid's 1.3L perform in summer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Enthusiast
Default How does Civic Hybrid's 1.3L perform in summer?

I am wondering if the small 1.3L engine is powerful enough in summer to get AC going? I don't live in desert but it could be pretty hot in DC area especially while stucked in traffic.

Are you Civic hybrid owner happy with its summer performance? Also how is it climbing up hill? Again, the area's local roads can be very winding with terrain variation.

Thanks for your sharing the experiences. If it is not powewrful enough, I may need to wait for Camry hybrid when it is available...

Old 01-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Have hybrid, will travel.
Default Re: How does Civic Hybrid's 1.3L perform in summer?

Greetings and welcome to GreenHybrid.com.

I live in NJ, so the climate is very similar.

I found that the engine is more than sufficient to run the A/C during the most humid and hot days. I have a 130 mile round trip commute and have had the vehicle for two summers. I can't complain at all.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Enthusiast

Charlie,

Thank you for sharing the experiences.
It seems that you are driving 130miles which may compose of big portion of highway or light traffic local. In that situation, AC tends to work more efficient...

How about short local trip? Is it capable of carrying four adults with AC in summer?

Old 01-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Wannabe Hypermiler

I drove around last summer with a loaded HCH I with A/C with no problems in California, including a trip to Las Vegas in 110 degree weather with short trips all over the strip. Keep in mind that you aren't going to get the best mileage with a car full of people and A/C.

The HCH can handle the hills adequately in my experience. Like any car, don't expect the best mileage in this scenario either. Do a search of hill climbing threads. Its been covered several times.

Old 01-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The HCH has maximum torque of 123 lb.-ft. at 1000-2500 rpm.
The regular Civic 1800 cc engine has maximum torque of 128.

I presume that the figure for the hybrid is with full assist from the electric motor. In that situation I would say the difference is very small.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

FYI, another reason why such a small engine with a small A/C compressor can do so well in very hot climats, is the glass used in the HCH. It's a green tinted glass designed to block UV light. I don't know the percentage off hand but it does reduce the green house effect.