Negotiation Strategy-Tax Credit Notification

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Negotiation Strategy-Tax Credit Notification

Hey all. I bought an HCHI in September. It has 5500 miles on it. I am contemplating on getting an HCH II. I currently owe 18k on the loan. Kelly Blue Book rates the Trade in Value at $20,150 (Almost the cost of an HCH II with out Nav). I figure I will probably get 19k for the car.

does anyone have any suggestions on how not to pay MSRP for an HCHII. Also, how will we know when Honda has sold 60,000 cars and the tax credit is gone?

I live in the Chicago Area any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Default Re: Negotiation Strategy-Tax Credit Notification

Just shop around. I don't know that many people have paid markups. Most people I have heard of have been waiting until they can find it under msrp.

I'm not sure honda is even planning to make 60,000 HCH IIs this year

Old 01-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

email as many dealers as you can. make sure you look at dealers OUTSIDE of major metropolitan areas. i got nothing but MSRP or more (in some cases up to $26,900 for a non navi HCH2) within the LA metro area. I was recommened a dealer that was 300 miles away from LA that was selling them for $800 under MSRP. Eventually I found a dealer that was 75 miles away that was willing to go to about $500 under MSRP and would deliver the car to my front door for free. Even at $500 under MSRP, I'm still paying nearly $1400 over invoice!

Old 01-15-2006, 03:41 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Negotiation Strategy-Tax Credit Notification

Originally Posted by shenfo
Hey all. I bought an HCHI in September. It has 5500 miles on it. I am contemplating on getting an HCH II. I currently owe 18k on the loan. Kelly Blue Book rates the Trade in Value at $20,150 (Almost the cost of an HCH II with out Nav). I figure I will probably get 19k for the car.

does anyone have any suggestions on how not to pay MSRP for an HCHII. Also, how will we know when Honda has sold 60,000 cars and the tax credit is gone?

I don't think you will have to worry about Honda making 60,000 Hybrids in 2006. If I remember correct the total number of HCH ll's that Honda is said to produce for 2006 is 28,000 Total. That figure does not include the Honda Hybrid Accord (HAH) or the Honda Insight but Honda does not make alot of them either. Infact the Insight is in most cases now for several years not even stocked at the dealers. The Hybrid Accord is not selling all that well so Honda I don't think will be producing alot of them for 2006. I think if your concern is for the Tax credit you will not have any problem at all getting it (IMO).

HTH;

Terry

Old 01-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Buy in a rural zipcode.
Sell your used one in the most affluent zip code.
I just bought one for $1,000 under MSRP from that dealer 300 miles from LA.
I'm selling my 04 right here in LA.

Why do you think you will get LESS than KBB?
Don't give in.
Hold out for what it is worth.
KBB takes your zip into account.
They know better than us what a car is worth in a Zip Code.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenny
Buy in a rural zipcode.
Sell your used one in the most affluent zip code.
I just bought one for $1,000 under MSRP from that dealer 300 miles from LA.
I'm selling my 04 right here in LA.

Why do you think you will get LESS than KBB?
Don't give in.
Hold out for what it is worth.
KBB takes your zip into account.
They know better than us what a car is worth in a Zip Code.
If KBB is as much as a 06 i figured that would have to be taken into account. I am going to also check carmax, cause they usually give very close to KBB.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Owner

You may have longer than you think to get a credit:

The full credits will remain available for the next calendar quarter following the quarter in which the 60,000th vehicle is sold. For the subsequent two quarters, the incentive will be 50% of the full amount. For the two quarters after that, the incentive will be 25% of the full amount. After four quarters (one year) of reduced credits, the incentives will no longer be available for vehicles sold by that manufacturer.

Source: www.energytaxincentives.org

Old 01-15-2006, 06:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

I used AAA in order to buy. I paid 500 over invoice on 08/2005. There were only 2 dealerships in all of Southern CA that had the HCH on discount. The lowest I was able to get negotiations prior to AAA was 500 over what I paid (1000 over invoice). After using AAA and all of its buyer protections I'll never haggle over a price without them again.

Old 01-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I doubt you'll get this much for your trade in. You might if you sell it privately but then you'll lose out on the sales tax savings.

For right now, demand is too high and you'll pay MSRP. The tax credit will compensate you for the hybrid premium. Honda is only planning on making 25K to 28K of Civic hybrids. Even with the few HAHs, you'll have nothing to worry abou this year. As to when, they have not even finalized the credit for the Civic. It's the government.

Good luck.

Old 01-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

TSARAS@OHAREHONDA.COM and msiddiqui@napleton.com quoted me $300 below MSRP in the Chicago area. I live in St. Louis and ended up going to Lawrence, KS for $600 below.

Quick Reply: Negotiation Strategy-Tax Credit Notification

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands