Honda Civic Insurance Rates Sky High

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 07:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda Civic Insurance Rates Sky High

Check with Travelers; they supposedly offer a 10% discount for hybrids (though not here yet).

Was there any change to your coverage at all? My rate went up after buying my HCH chiefly because I had dropped collision coverage on the previous car (too old/too many miles to be worthwhile).

Old 03-31-2006, 07:34 AM
Owner

BP,
Call Tim Riley at the Allstate in Fraser at (586) 293-6200. Tell him Chris Muschong referred you because you have the same car he has. I'm paying around $80/month for my 06 HCH. He has great service too. The low rate requires you to pay auto via a checking account.

Originally Posted by BigPanda
OMG, I've been researching insurance rates on my Civic Hybrid II and am absolutely stunned by how high they are.

I'm particularly interested to see what other Michigan residents are paying in comparison.

Here's my scenario. HCH II, w/ 100/50 coverage. Clean driving record. 29 yr old male in Michigan. Quotes have been ranging between $1675 annually (which is what I currently have) to $2400 / 6 months. My previous carrier had me at $2100 / 6 months and i dropped them recently.

I was paying around $400/month for my Expedition.

Thanks,

BP

Old 03-31-2006, 10:38 AM
Enthusiast

For my HCHII, I'm paying $420/6mos with GEICO, full coverage. They tacked on discounts like being a good driver for 5yrs, ABS brakes, Air bags, and alarm system. I declined their add-on warranty. I was previously paying $326/6mos for full coverage for my 98 Honda Civic DX.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:30 PM
Enthusiast

I was paying approx 490 a month for my 2003 Civic LX. When I got my 2006 HCHII w/Nav my premiums didn't change (in fact I was able to increase my limits to 100/300 and add car rental coverage without increasing premiums). I'm going to American Family (in SE Wisconsin - 24 Yr old male, 1 uninsured claim, 0 speeding tix).

My girlfriend had AllState with her 2003 CRV LX. She paid something like 350 for 6 months. They wanted something like 620 for 6 months (50/100 coverage) on her brand new HCHII w/Nav- 23 yr old female, 0 claims, 0 speeding tix. It just seems like AllState doesn't like the Civic at all. She checked with progressive (around 480) and then checked with American Family ($490).

I definately think it is an insurance company preference (and not just that the 06 HCH being an expensive car to insure). Then again, my statement directly reflects my experience in moving from an 03 civic to an 06 HCH...

Advice to anyone would be to shop around and find a good price with a company that you trust.

Dan

Old 03-31-2006, 06:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm paying $1400 through Travelers for my HCH-II and my wife's 2003 Accord in Houston. My guess is about $800 is for my car.

Jeff

Old 04-01-2006, 02:00 AM
Proud owner HCHII

Why cannot Honda do a deal with a major insurance broker to offer special rates for its Hybrids which will clearly have a better claims history than most other makes? What has been their experience with HCHI? The insurers share claims info - are we being treated fairly,or are we paying for 18 year olds driving hot-hatches? Could be a strong selling point.

My wife is amazed at my conversion overnight from road-hog to gentle caring motorist since I took delivery of my beauty! Judging from most of the posts here I am not alone.

Last edited by Tulip; 04-01-2006 at 02:32 AM.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:35 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by guvmint_cheese
I'm paying $1400 through Travelers for my HCH-II and my wife's 2003 Accord in Houston. My guess is about $800 is for my car.

Jeff
Is that a year or for 6 months?

Old 04-01-2006, 07:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I just fired Allstate. They decieded I needed a screwing since buying Hondas.

Full coverage, with under/uninsured for 05 Accord EX Sedan, I4, 5AT, 06 Civic EX Sedan, 5MT, Navi. With a 00 Ranger XLT, I4, 5MT liability only $200.00 per month. We have perfect driving records. Ages 45 and 49. South of Tulsa. We fired there ****'s after many years being with them.

Changed to Safeco thru our Agent. Got full coverage back on the Ranger with the same coverage on the Hondas and its now $120.00 per month. WTH does Allstate think there doing. I know,, screwing the heck out of folks.

Something intresting I learned in this last go around with ins. co's. My agent could and would beat any online quote I got. I spent better than 2 months getting quotes online and from a few other agents in my area. If I got a online quote from progressive she beat it with her own progressive quote, soforth and so on.

My travel agent is the same way. She will always beat any deal I can find online. So for trips that require airfare and lodgeing. I just call her. Give her the dates. She hooks us up. We receive all docs and such in the mail a few days later then I give her my cc#.

Im so glad I didnt fire my agent along with Allstate. She now knows that we wont stay loyal to a company if there rates are out of line. So she will do a reveiw March of every year for us on all of our ins. needs. I like having a manager if you will and she likes the money. a win win for both of us!

Old 04-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

noiruispher - It's $1400 for the whole year - in Houston nonetheless. Insurance is obnoxious here!

Jeff

Old 04-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

That seems really, really high - borderline outrageous. I pay ~ 80 / month for my 03 (State Farm - Seattle), and it's been that way since I bought it. Granted I'm a bit older and married (which will lower the rate a bit), but I can't see why I'd be almost half. The hybrid should not be any worse to insure than the standard Civic. Definitely shop around...

Quick Reply: Honda Civic Insurance Rates Sky High

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands